T&E feeding CU from Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come across a CU which is supplied my 10mm T&E from the meter to the CU. Is the supply company resposible for putting in proper, safe, meter tails? Would there be a fee?

Sponsored Links
It's the consumer's responsibility not supply company.

So how does it get connected into meter without seals be broken? Does consumer have to pay Supply company to connect it in? Or what is correct procedure?

When you say you've come across this, is it in your own property or someone elses?

A little more info would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Its not unknown. seen it a lot actually on older systems

Came across this one the other day.

10.0mm² rubber T&E into a shiny new meter :LOL:

06122006310.jpg

RF, its shocking how oblivious some of the DNO's workers are when it comes to replacing meters/installing isolator switches etc. in installations that are clearly dangerous.

I recently had to persuade a neighbour to get her house rewired after noticing she had no earth rod (TT supply) on an old consumer unit (no RCD), and the consumer unit was connected with 6mm t&e. Despite the fact she recently had the meter replaced, the guy who carried out the work didn't even mention that there was a problem... I mean how is a 75 year old woman going to know unless someone tells her?

I've seen worse where there is a nice new meter connected to cloth covered tails the electricity providers don't give a toss all they're interested in is collecting their money.

In the old days when it the REC did the lot it was different!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back