Taking apart an office chair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've received some replacement parts from the supplier of an office chair i have at home and i need to fit them - i'd ask the supplier for instructions but their customer support is abysmal.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to take apart one of those fancy adjustable office chairs that has a pneumatic piston for height adjustment, and allows backrest and seat adjustment via the handles underneath?

I need to remove the piston and need to disassemble the part underneath the seat that houses the arms for adjusting the seat position - i've tried taking it apart but alas as it was easy to slot together no amount of pulling seems to get these bits apart!

Sponsored Links
Hi there :)

I don't know if this will help you or not, but here goes anyway...

I bought a S/H Kinnarps draughtsmans chair for a very good price, lovely piece of kit but unfortunately way too tall to go under my desk.

Eventually I found another Kinnarps chair with a broken mech. but a compatible base which was standard height so ideal, but I was faced with a similar problem as yourself.

On the Kinnarps chairs (and probably most other similar types) the top of the gas strut is tapered so that it's an interference fit in the seat squab frame. The way I got mine apart was to:

1. Extend the gas strut as far as possible. Very important or you'll never get it off !

2. A short piece of scaffold pole or something similar, and a big lump hammer were then used on the bottom of the seat frame as close to where the tapered end of the strut fits into the frame. It's a bit brutal but eventually the two pieces will seperate.

Once they're apart you should be able to strip down the mechanism as necessary.

HTH
Cheers
Robin

Sponsored Links
It was resurrected by a spammer who's post has since been deleted, PBD missed it though so ought to take himself down to Specsavers! :p

yes i saw the spam post :D
i think when an old post is resurrected and the resurrectors post is removed subsequent posts should be removed as well unless the content has added value which this one has none

i suggest the mods remove the new posts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back