talbot pushfit fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. can anybody tell me how to undo talbot pushfit fittings, i had a leak on one the other week after it froze ,turned water off and tried to undo the dam thing,didnt have any joy so i went to the local plumbing merchant to see if there was a special tool for the job, the guy there went onto talbots web site to see if there was but found nothing, he told me that they dont undo you have to cut it off the pipe. doesnt sound right to me, idid cut it off the pipe and took the fitting back to them to see if they could undo it, no joy. the fitting is black in colour and connects to the blue polypipe stuff any ideas, i cant send a pic as i am computer stupid,

Sponsored Links
I think these things are actually demountable.....a plastic tool called an extractor is clipped onto the pipe, then forced up into the fitting, dislodging the wedge that grips the pipe, allowing the pipe to pull clear.
Generalising though, although most plastic push fittings are demountable, some most definitely aren't. I don't usually use a fitting twice, although new 'o' rings are often available...I just don't like the risk.
John :)

cheers for the reply mate,sorry for not responding straight away,as i said iam computer thick, so your saying that there is a special tool for these,but some push fits arnt demountable

As far as I can remember, Talbot have 2 push fit ranges...one is called the pushfit and one called the gripper (which is for heavier duty use I think, and has collets that you turn to tighten them). I believe that both are demountable, using the correct extractor tool with the pushfit.
Other makes (Marley etc) produce fittings that may, or may not, be demountable.
Either way, if you do demount these fittings, you are relying on the 'o' ring within being in perfect condition, and the pipe itself being completely free of scratches.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I just came across this thread while trying to figure out how to undo these fittings myself. You do need a tool for doing it with, I made one up myself to remove the fitting from some 20mm pipe. I used a piece of 22mm SS tube, which I drilled a 20mm hole through. Then I tacked an M20 washer to one end and cut the tube and washer in half. This allowed me to tap the tube up the pipe and into the fitting to loosen its grip on the pipe.

Attachments

• 20160313_172512.jpg
    20160313_172512.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 476
I just came across this thread while trying to figure out how to undo these fittings myself. You do need a tool for doing it with, I made one up myself to remove the fitting from some 20mm pipe. I used a piece of 22mm SS tube, which I drilled a 20mm hole through. Then I tacked an M20 washer to one end and cut the tube and washer in half. This allowed me to tap the tube up the pipe and into the fitting to loosen its grip on the pipe.
Well done mate, now prepare yourself for the wicked witches who will now try and down you for your valuable ideas. They hate anyone coming up with problem solving ideas. (you will see, just keep watching this thread)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back