Talk to me about....kitchen knives.

Sponsored Links
I need new knives. Bought some cheap ones from Sainsburys this year, some are already falling apart!

No idea of good brands, but I'd now get one with a handle and blade that is one piece of steel, with a grip attached. I had one small knife from a really old set like this, handle finally fell apart this year after about 20 years going through the dishwasher or being left in a sink for days ...

I guess you get what you pay for - £30 will last a year or two, £300 10 years or more ...

looks like a good guide ..

https://foodal.com/kitchen/knives-c...that-cut/the-best-kitchen-knife-sets/#handles

Just ordered a Wustof 9 piece classic set. The classic Wustof knives get good reviews. I'll be honest and say I'd never heard of them until @Notch7 mentioned them so thanks for that. Seems to have everything I need and not over the top expensive. Came in well under budget at £329. That'll do. Anything more expensive will probably be wasted on me!

Wustof.jpg

Last edited:
a nice hard alloy steel that will hold a good edge if you don't clatter them.

Best kept out of the dishwasher.

I like the style.

Sponsored Links
I have had a similar set for years now. My parents had the same set and the handles started cracking - These were replaced without question by wustoff which is great customer service. They dont blunt very easily and sharpen up quickly with the steel if needed! Only problem is when you go on holiday you realise how bad cheap kitchen knives are!

Just ordered a Wustof 9 piece classic set. The classic Wustof knives get good reviews. I'll be honest and say I'd never heard of them until @Notch7 mentioned them so thanks for that. Seems to have everything I need and not over the top expensive. Came in well under budget at £329. That'll do. Anything more expensive will probably be wasted on me!

View attachment 178395

No, I WILL look after these ones - I keep them in a knife block in the cupboard. Also, my preference is for a magnetic rack but the wife has put her size 4 right down against that - she has a fear of intruders breaking in and being able to quickly grab a sharp knife when I send her downstairs to deal with them! :LOL:

Probably a bit late now, but...

I keep my knives on magnetic racks, which are screwed to the back of the cupboard i. e. you wouldn't know they're there, unless you know they're there.....

Where I need them, and out of the sight and reach of kids, and those who don't need them(y)

....Only problem is when you go on holiday you realise how bad cheap kitchen knives are!
I know what you mean. A group of us with our dogs rent a large house and go away every year after Christmas and spend the new year together. This year 12 of us and 8 dogs are going to the Peak District. One of our traditions is a New Year’s Day roast. We buy a large joint of beef and one of lamb from a local butcher. I always get the job of carving the meat and some years I’m sure a butter knife would have been better to carve the roast! This year, I will be taking my old knives for the carving ceremony. :D

Oh yeah and when I was telling my wife what knives were in the set, she sarcastically asked whether there was an Amazon parcel opening knife in the set. Apparently I use them for opening parcels too! Must remember not to do that any more.....

Last edited:
Well, arrived today and fck me, are they sharp! You could shave with them, well, I did a bit of my arm hair. Cut myself as well! :confused:

C283034F-754C-46D7-8CCD-2334EEDCD8E4.jpeg

Diastaser!

Cutting up a pork crackling joint tonight and this happened to my most used knife out of the set!

5D69A4E3-4E58-4FE7-87BB-2E940EE05751.jpeg

Annoying thing was, it was THE best bit of crackling pork I’d ever done - not too hard, not too soft just f*cking perfect. Crumbled and melted in my mouth. I’ll be seeing how good their 'Lifetime warranty' is next week. :evil:

Error in the hardening making the metal brittle perhaps?

If so, they've probably had other complaints about the batch.

Do you remember if you were twisting it?

No, I was just cutting the joint, crackling side down and rocking the knife with two hands. Crackling wasn’t even hard - very crumbly and crunchy. Already sent an email to the company I bought the set from. I suppose I was lucky I didn’t cut myself.

Take a belt sander to the old ones and then finish them using wet and dry fine or a wet block. Final sharpen should always be pushing the blade in to the block or wet paper. Pulling rounds the blade.

I tend to use a Chinese style chopper and a large chef Sabatier, but the first thing I have to do is convert them to left hand use.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back