Talking NHS

Sponsored Links
At my last works before I took early leavr this bloke kept on slagging off the nhs A&E and the time he sprained his ankle and claimed to be in a lot of pain. I told him it was not a matter of life and death and him waiting 3 hours on a satuday night was nothing big as people had breathing probs, heat attacks, etc. But the guy kept on banging on about his ankle everytime we had a debate about the NHS. Then one day when he mentioned his ankle again, a good friend of mine said to him " have you ever sprained your mouth.." Almost everyone burst out LOL.

NHS is poorly managed and it is not often the front line staffs fault but some can be quiet rude intially but ok once you've stated your case politley.

Being a paramedic doesn't get you special treatment either. We have paramedics on training courses at our college. They have rented one floor of one wing because we don't have have enough students for full occupation yet. About 3 weeks ago one of the trainers developed chest pains. She was examined by two other senior trainers and deemed to need hospital treatment so phoned an ambulance. They were told there would be a 90 minute wait as they were busy and short staffed, (hardly surprising when half of them are training new recruits I thought, (wrongly)). They were almost certain she wasn't having a heart attack so after 3 hours decided to run her to the hospital by car. Turns out, thankfully, she had had a muscle spam in her chest and the muscle hadn't relaxed properly. After some sedation her muscle relaxed and she was ok.
I mentioned to one of the senior paramedics the comment about being short staffed and it turns out the trainers are training others on their days off voluntarily at no charge. They simply want to help budding medical staff to reach their goals. The admin staff get paid to make sure all the paperwork is done correctly and everyone complies with GDPR etc.
On a personal level I don't think I have much to complain about regarding the NHS except the triage nurse who made me walk down a long corridor because she decided my knee wasn't broken. She was quite right, however, she failed to diagnose I had torn the ligaments running down the side of my leg. Doctor was not very pleased with her making me walk/hop when I clearly needed a wheelchair/crutches.

Sponsored Links
Back