Talking of rudeness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this just typical English?
Why is it that 99 out of the 100 times when someone calls you by phone they don't say their name, but go straight in asking a question (be it to wanting to speak to this or this person whith such or such function - 9 times out of 10 a cold-call - , or a possible customer in regards of one of our products, services).
I find this strange and many times rude: I like to know with whom I'm speaking.

Sponsored Links
I must be the 1 out of 100 that introduces myself.

"Hello its xxxx from xxxxxxxx, can I speak to Mr/Mrs xxxxxx please"

Even when I'm not calling somebody from work I introduce myself, especially if making a query/complaint, it brings the conversation to a more personal level which can often mean getting more out of the call than being snotty.

BoxBasher said:
I must be the 1 out of 100 that introduces myself.
it brings the conversation to a more personal level which can often mean getting more out of the call than being snotty.
Exactly, starting a conversation, that's important with any contact you make. And it starts with introducing yourself, doesn't it?
So why don't most people here do that?? It's so simple, or is that just me?

WoodYouLike said:
It's so simple, or is that just me?
No, not just you.

I make it even simpler for people - unless they've given their name (and, if relevant, company name), then the response to their first question is "May I answer that by first taking a note of your name?". :evil:

Sponsored Links
Whilst I agree with you to a certain extent, would you expect somebody who called in your shop and asked for advice on various types of flooring to give you their names before asking a question.?
I personally don't like those pushy types who insist on calling me by my first name when they have never met me.
Even more those checkout staff who insist on saying that american phrase "have a nice day".

I'm living in a country at the moment where introducing yourself on the telephone is Important and the polite and correct thing to do. If it is buisness or you are not familiar with the person only surnames are exchanged. If you don't the coversation can be a little on the cold side :( Also "schöne Tag" ( have a nice day) is a polite exchange over here after saying goodbye.... Kev...

useless but true.

when a Japense person answers the phone they will say "mushi, mushi" (not sure about spelling)

it means hello.

but i can't understnad why say hello twice

drspock said:
Even more those checkout staff who insist on saying that american phrase "have a nice day".

I only ever say that to people if i'm being sarcastic, and I actually want them to stand on a landmine on their way home because they've been very rude or a PITA to me . . .

Back to the subject, when I make a phone call at work, it depends who I'm phoning as to how I introduce myself. If I phone IT support, I always start "hi, its branch number . . . " because I know they're going to need that information. However, if i'm phoning a member of staff, I start by saying "Hi, could i speak to .... please?" If they ask who I am, i tell them, but I dont see the point in telling them who I am if its somebody else I want to talk to! They are just nosy if they want to know who i am. Frankly, its none of their businesss, but I humour them anyway.

If it is a member of staff I am phoning at home and their husband answers for exmaple, i usually hear in the background as the phone is being passed "Its steve from work, tell him you cant work". Which is why I dont like telling them who i am. ;)

I always fall into the trap of talking to checkout girls in french supermarkets (Shh, don't tell Mrs Secure!) about the weather & they always look at me like I'm nuts!!

securespark said:
I always fall into the trap of talking to checkout girls in french supermarkets (Shh, don't tell Mrs Secure!) about the weather & they always look at me like I'm nuts!!

prob cos yer don't speak french SS or failing that "mon duer " yer speak "dell boy " :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

breezer said:
useless but true.

when a Japense person answers the phone they will say "mushi, mushi" (not sure about spelling)

it means hello.

does that mean that hello please is mushy peas? :LOL:

drspock said:
Whilst I agree with you to a certain extent, would you expect somebody who called in your shop and asked for advice on various types of flooring to give you their names before asking a question.?
I personally don't like those pushy types who insist on calling me by my first name when they have never met me.
Quite agree with you on this, but it's telephone calls I mean, not 'walk-in' customers. I always leave it up to them to tell me their name, what I do do is introducing myself to them.
When they become customers and return to the shop for maintenance products etc I'll always try to remember their name and mention it, if my memory fails me (getting older :cry: ) I don't have a problem with asking: could you please remind me of your name, please?

But on the phone, IMO it's a very different matter.

breezer said:
useless but true.

it means hello.

Jap cop....evelyn all

breezer said:
useless but true.

it means hello.

It greatly amused my friend and I whilst holidaying in Malta one of the guides would say "If you'd like to walk this way slowly slowly" rather a lot. We couldn't work out why he said slowly twice until we discovered that Maltese and I think Arabic the word for slowly is "poli poli".

Sponsored Links
Back