Tamper Circuit

That's all fine BUT it is using Gardtec resistor values ! So you either wire it the same or use texecom values , BUT the 4.7k is opposite on Gardtec

Sponsored Links
Thanks @3george. That's very helpful and I think it confirms my understanding as per above.
Do you fill those holes with sealant or something as they seem ripe for creepy crawlies to make their way into the device and cause havoc!

Also, once I've done this, I assume that I need to change the "normally closed" wiring option in the keypad to something else?

I did see a need to fill the holes as personally I've not had any ' spider ' related issues.

The need to change to ' normally closed ' will surely depend on the PIR's and panel combination that you are using and what is set as the default / or for each input on the panel.

Sponsored Links
That's very helpful. Where do I buy these resistors from?
I scrapped the ones that came with the PIR's as I thought I didn't need them. ouch!

Thanks for all your help @3george and others and as someone said, I shall do this "properly" now :)
A further question for you experts now that I've come so far, why am I doing this? In lay terms please

The Normally Closed loop made sense to me and I understand that this is how the pros do it but honestly, I still don't understand what it offers over and above the open/closed principle.

I am not an alarm engineer but simply put it allows a single pair of wires to control the functions of the alarm and tamper circuit respectively. Including power - each PIR therefore only needs 4 core cable to be used. Less wiring needed in the control panel etc.

In an alarm system without resistors, a thief can bypass a sensor by cutting the wire on a normally open circuit, or by shorting the wires in a normally closed circuit. Using normally closed circuits with properly placed resistors makes it harder to bypass the sensor.

Your pir has selectable resistor values,just select the correct value by putting the the black jumpers in the correct postion then you will not need to put the resistors just use blue and white in the EOL terminals.

Wouldn't an intruder need to be in front of a PIR in order to short the wire? In which case, the alarm would go off anyway and my dialler will start to dial out.
Would this cause the alarm to trigger even when it isn't armed? i.e. if someone was fiddling with the cables when its in an unarmed state, would that trigger the system once I have these resistors in place?

The picture of the pir shows it has selectable resistor values . All you have to do is put the jumper on the correct resistor value for your control panel.
You do not need to put additional resistors supplied in the panel in pir with selectable values, unless the value your require is not selectable on the pir.

I was planning to fit the resistors today and switch the wires around as per earlier suggestion but when revisiting this thread, I noticed your comment which puts a stop to my plan. Presumably, the resistors don't add anything in addition to the method you are suggesting?

Assuming not, can you please advise on what these jumpers need to be switched to and do I need to make any changes to how the PIR's are currently wired?
Thanks for your help

1 - If the PIR's you are fitting have in-built resistors then you simply select the values needed according to the panel you are using. The way of doing this will be detailed in the instructions for the PIR itself and typically involves moving some jumpers.
2 - If the PIR's you are fitting don't have built in resistors then you need to add them in the way I've shown on a previous picture I added to my earlier reply. Again the values needed will be determined by the DEOL setting of your panel.

Others have also supplied a wiring diagram which shows this.

Why not just test on a single PIR until you are confident it's alarm and tamper circuit functions correctly.

Leave the blue and yellow wires connected to the pir and then put black jumper on 2.2k tamper link and another black jumper on 4.7k alarm link for your elite panel configuration . Connect each blue and yellow pair to your alarm zones on control panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back