Tanaka Brushcutter won’t start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m a novice at engines so trying to work my way around a small one. I bought a Tanaka TBC-2000 brushcutter that was advertised as not working. The guy I bought it from said it was working perfectly but fell over in the shed and wouldn’t start since. I went over to get it and he demonstrated the starting procedure and it worked first time, ran really well. By the time I had it home it wasn’t working again, pulled the cord and no coughing just nothing. I checked the spark plug which is fine, took covers off and cleaned everything, gave the carb a good spray with carb cleaner but didn’t take it apart, checked the fuel line and fuel filter which were fine, checked for spark arrester but none installed. Tried to start it again and it burst into life again, tried 2 or 3 times and it worked on the first pull. I then went to start it up in the morning and it didn’t work again. Same as before.

What should I try next? I‘m confused as to why it worked normally twice and then goes back to nothing. The only other thing I did before it started working the second time was to pull the fuel line through to the tank a bit more. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does this machine have a primer bulb that you press? Make sure that it gets full of fuel after a few presses.
Always try to start these machines with a fully open throttle, hot or cold.
It could be an idea to remove the spark plug, turn the machine over with the recoil start to clear any excess fuel and then try again.......full choke, full throttle, pull it over until it fires once, then choke off and all should be well.
John

This one doesn't have a primer bulb. I tried the way you suggested but still no luck. I just saw that there is a slow fuel leak from somewhere so I suppose that might have something to do with it.

The common issue - as with all such two stroke machines - is fuelling of one way or another, making up 95% of the problems.
Do check the fuel pipes going and returning to the tank for fracturing, often where they enter the tank itself or through a rubber grommet. Its not unusual to see the filter detached and rolling around in the bottom of the tank.
The other issues are the diaphragms within the carburettor - they become split, deformed or soft and upset the fuelling completely.
New diaphragms and gaskets are available, but often it's cheaper and more successful to replace the entire carburettor with a pattern part.
The replacement carb, if you go down this route, needs to be the exact replica.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Good luck with it!
Another tip.....two strokes rely on good compression to start well, which can be felt when you pull the recoil starter.
To ascertain the condition of the engine, a good start is to take the exhaust silencer off, and peer down the port where you will see the piston and rings, as well as the cylinder barrel. Any significant scoring within here sends out warning signs!
John :)

Ok so since you mentioned that when I pull the starter cord the first pull always feels like it should. The second pull probably 50% of the time comes straight out like it's not connected to anything. I have to wait a minute before I feel like I'm pulling something again.

It’s probably a good idea to remove the recoil housing, and check out the plastic pawl - or whatever mechanism is in there - looking for wear or missing bits. There will be some sort of spring in there too.
The function of them is to allow you to spin the engine over, and then the mechanism must immediately disengage from the flywheel. There are many different designs out there, some more successful than others.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back