Tanker drivers, overpaid or what.!

agree yes and no.

i done my adr in 1980s to carry calor gas bottle but that job didn't come with 37k.
the adr course isn't only to drive tankers, it can be paint,chemicals,toxic waste etc. the exam is around £300 now days and lasts aday
that still don't warrent 37k a yr

Sponsored Links
Shell got rid of this operation years ago because of the high wage demands.

no they never large companys as shell no longer want the agro of running the haulage side of it, because of the taxes, operator licences and the rest that gos with haulage.
so it cheaper and less agro for them to sub contract same as all food superstores, car manufactorers etc.

there is many careers that deserve lot more money, but only ever having done two types of jobs i wouldn't like to say who deserves more.

Sponsored Links
having only engaged in two types of work does not under qualify you to an opinion.

i happen to think 37k is a damn good salary, and would like it myself. but i can not sit in my armchair and decide who does and does not deserve it without a bit of thought.

i would not like to drive an articulated hgv full stop. let alone a fuel tanker. 35k would not tempt me.

>i happen to think 37k is a damn good salary

it is a good wage for what is required on fuel deliverys, two drops a day, 37 hour week, pension etc.
the only thing that im not in favour of is a rolling week.

OK, slow down people. How much are these guys really on ?

I have read that they are on a 32k basic and that they could go up (with the increased pay) to 42k but they would have to do loads of overtime to get this figure. :confused:

Media love to stretch a story :evil:

I read somwhere else that the increase was only 3k in real terms :confused:

They are all external contractors to Shell and should be a bit wary about biting the hand that feeds them IMHO.

I understand that these drivers are asking for a 7% increase...
Greedy b******s

I thought they were demanding 13%. They've been offered 6.8. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Quote.

"Our members' dedication helps Shell make vast profits," said Unite national officer Ron Webb.

"All they are asking for in return is a living wage - one that reflects their skills, their heavy working week and helps make ends meet at a time when every worker in the country is being hit hard by rising fuel and food prices."

:rolleyes:

I know of an inherited tanker driver, lives well, albeit detached ;) .

The strikers should think perhaps of their families future...
Rightly or wrongly :-
Municipal bus crews.
Engineering artisans ( plus semi-skilled ).
Vehicle assembly work.
Mining.
Printing.
All but disappeared. Who extracted most relative benifit from such employment? The semi and skilled artisan. Where did they mostly come from?
I saw the jobs go over time in industry, I listened to people bitterly regret ting past actions taken in haste under poor leadership.

Drivers at best semi-skilled, £30k with an agreement to conduct paid overtime?? That money doesn't come so easily or with such longevity in the real world.
I think the strikers should drop the action and their short sighted leaders before machismo takes over and they will be afraid to walk away from a fight they and their families can only - in the long run - LOSE !!

:(

This was discussed on the Jeremy Vine show on Friday and one arguement was they deserved more money due to potential terrorist attack. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last vehicle attacked in this country was a double decker bus .

i heard the union rep on the radio last night, he made out that the drivers deserve double never mind what they are asking for, he compared the drivers to airline pilots :eek: then when the interviewer said ok then but do nurses deserve 13k when you are on 34.5k then?

he quickly went onto how important the job is and how dangerous it is.

and i bet they are on more than the poor fellas in iraq / afganistan.

I'm with the drivers.

Shell make "£1.5M per HOUR" profit.

I wonder what the fatcats are raking off :rolleyes:

What's that got to do with anything? They don't even work for Shell.

Correct...but why can't Hover & Suckling afford to pay the drivers more?

Is it because Shell are screwing down their subcontractors so they can make even more profit?

Sponsored Links
Back