Tax Cuts And The Autumn Statement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not long ago, tax cuts were absolutely out of the question.

But now, miraculously, tax cuts are possible.

Pensions are due to get a huge rise next year. When the Tories might not even be in power?

Time and again, the Tories play the electorate for absolute fools.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
More money for the people who pay taxes and less for those who don't. What is not to like?
NHS waiting lists and crumbling infrastructure. I'd rather we invested some of the money instead.

Flood defenses for people's homes were just cut massively due to the effect of inflation on planned and in flight projects. We could have funded that again instead. Or picked off some of the NHS building backlog.

If they're giving me more money, I'll play along.

If they're starving public services of funding, you'll play along when you're sick, or robbed, or your house is on fire, or your elderly relative can't cope

Looks like more people will be working and paying tax once this bites

Welfare recipients who do not get a job within 18 months will have to do work experience - those who don't look for work for a six-month period will have benefits stopped

Pensions are due to get a huge rise next year. When the Tories might not even be in power?

"Might?"

If he thought he'd have to deal with the problem, he'd take it more seriously.

"Tax burden still rising to a postwar record despite £20bn Autumn Statement measures"
"His package left space for further pre-election tax cuts in next spring’s Budget, but was dwarfed by the impact of the government’s decision to freeze tax thresholds at a time when inflation is still more than twice the Bank of England’s 2 per cent target."

Looks like a very well considered budget based on the headlines. While JohnD doesn’t have a good record of predicting Labour victories at general election, I think this time it’s likely. As long as Labour can keep on top of all the Jew hating, they stand a good chance.

"However, the overall rise in the tax burden was made clear in analysis by the Office for Budget Responsibility. “While personal and business tax cuts reduce the tax burden by half a percentage point, it still rises in each of the next five years to a post-war high of 38 per cent of GDP,” the OBR said."

FT.com

i remember filling tank up with petrol before a budget , even queueing .... and also buying some spirits ....... (no longer drink)

with the freeze on personal allowance till 2008 - not sure the monthly £50+ and then the additional income tax on that amount, will go a long way
retired and so does not impact me, although happy about the pension lock

Sponsored Links
Back