Tax & Spend Tories

Sponsored Links
I have used trig at least a dozen times today whilst building a roof.

Giss an example...

screencap89-390x285.png

Giss an example...
The roof I'm building at the moment is a reet pain. We are governed by a 6m (from DPC) max height whilst the only roof tiles available will go down to 15 degree pitch. So I'm having to start with the ridge beam, dummy up rafters whilst maintaining a pitch of 15 degrees, which then determines the height of the wall plates and intermediate purlin.

Only problem is the one rafter run is 7.5m long and does not lend itself well to the accuracy of a rudimentary pitch-finder. Once I've set up the dummy rafter, I then set up a trig' triangle using a couple of long straight edges (one vertical one horizontal) and then test the pitch using maths (tan15 = X...multiply X by the horizontal and it gives you the vertical measurement).

Also, once I set up the roof and began cutting the rafters, I use trig to determine the depths of the b/m cuts and rafter plumb cuts accurately. This is because a couple of the b/m landing zones plates differ slightly from an old 4"x 2" wide plate(101mm) to a modern 95mm wide plate. Only a few mm extra on the depth but it means a lot to me.

It's much more difficult maintaining the accuracy when cutting a rafter that goes from b/m cut to b/m cut rather than from b/m cut up to say a plumb cut on a ridge. Zero play and I like tight joints.:)

Sponsored Links
Why should tax payers cough up to pay for some to study some mamby pamby nonsense ?

Johnson studied some Greek caper
If the tax payer coughed up for that he should be obliged to pay it back

same go’s for some of this art nonsense

certain courses should be entirely free
medical
Engineering
for example

Why should tax payers cough up to pay for some to study some mamby pamby nonsense ?

Who decides what is your "namby pamby nonsense" ?

Some of the greatest discoveries in history have stemmed from entirely whimsical studies.

The roof I'm building at the moment is a reet pain. We are governed by a 6m (from DPC) max height whilst the only roof tiles available will go down to 15 degree pitch. So I'm having to start with the ridge beam, dummy up rafters whilst maintaining a pitch of 15 degrees, which then determines the height of the wall plates and intermediate purlin.

Only problem is the one rafter run is 7.5m long and does not lend itself well to the accuracy of a rudimentary pitch-finder. Once I've set up the dummy rafter, I then set up a trig' triangle using a couple of long straight edges (one vertical one horizontal) and then test the pitch using maths (tan15 = X...multiply X by the horizontal and it gives you the vertical measurement).

Also, once I set up the roof and began cutting the rafters, I use trig to determine the depths of the b/m cuts and rafter plumb cuts accurately. This is because a couple of the b/m landing zones plates differ slightly from an old 4"x 2" wide plate(101mm) to a modern 95mm wide plate. Only a few mm extra on the depth but it means a lot to me.

It's much more difficult maintaining the accuracy when cutting a rafter that goes from b/m cut to b/m cut rather than from b/m cut up to say a plumb cut on a ridge. Zero play and I like tight joints.:)

Fair play!

Who decides what is your "namby pamby nonsense" ?

Some of the greatest discoveries in history have stemmed from entirely whimsical studies.

i will :cool:

same go’s for job titles

some one tells you what they do and you end up none the wiser
As I see it they would get 5 mins to explain to me what they bring to the table and if it does not make sense to me they will be down the road

same go’s with some of these students studying some BS subject

(one vertical one horizontal) and then test the pitch using maths (tan15 = X...multiply X by the horizontal and it gives you the vertical measurement

SOHCAHTOA - remember it from school!

to be honest though, I use a phone app these days

this is the one I use
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wles.RightAngledTriangleSolver&hl=en_GB&gl=US

The complication with using maths on roofs is reducing the roof to a virtual wireframe to find the true common rafter pitch.

It’s confusing because the difference in height from top of wall plate to top of ridge, is not rafter pitch.

I’ve not done calcs on a roof, but I’ve done plenty on conservatories….I learnt to do common rafter, hip, Jack rafter, ridge length. I never got to grips with hips or valleys when they aren’t 45 degrees on plan.

i will :cool:

same go’s for job titles

some one tells you what they do and you end up none the wiser
As I see it they would get 5 mins to explain to me what they bring to the table and if it does not make sense to me they will be down the road

same go’s with some of these students studying some BS subject

One of the best sales types I ever met had a degree from Oxford in Medieval Literature.

What sort of education do you think would best suit a career in sales?

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of education do you think would best suit a career in sales?

A lot of the thickos on this forum (RWR) just do not get education. They think that because they did not have the brains to further their education then they see no reason why young people of today should either.

Selfish and thick as bread pudding.

A lot of the thickos on this forum (RWR) just do not get education. They think that because they did not have the brains to further their education then they see no reason why young people of today should either.

Selfish and thick as bread pudding.

dont be so harsh on yer self Noseall :idea:

Sponsored Links
Back