Tax & Spend Tories

When the younger get to retirement age, then they will enjoy, are you that stupid or thick?
Bet your name is rick with a silent P

Given that retirement age goes up every year….by then those young people might be retiring at about 85

Sponsored Links
Older people paid into a system which provided young people with free education and health care, i think it was back in the 70s that taxes were a lot higher than they are now, if older folk have already paid a lot more into the system than most young folk, why should they be asked to pay more.
Because they also have the money now. Many pensioners are minted and can afford to pay more tax on anything in the higher rate tax band, for example. By putting the extra charge on NI rather than tax it excludes the well off old people.

The stats are pretty clear, on average pensioners are doing fairly well at the moment. There's a big range in it, many do struggle, but on average they've never had it so good. Which is another way of saying that they didn't provide the same level of support for their parents, but expect their children to fund them.

Free education? Like university perhaps.

Young people will bear this burden of higher Nats Ins and the people who will benefit the most are the old fogies. More intergenerational wealth transfer. :mrgreen:
So if an old person gets dementia they should have to pay for their care but if a young person gets cancer they shouldn't have to pay for their care.
Is that what you mean.
If you needed a serious life saving operation, how you like to be told that you have to sell your house or your car to pay for it.
Do you think that is fair.

Because they also have the money now. Many pensioners are minted and can afford to pay more tax on anything in the higher rate tax band, for example. By putting the extra charge on NI rather than tax it excludes the well off old people.

The stats are pretty clear, on average pensioners are doing fairly well at the moment. There's a big range in it, many do struggle, but on average they've never had it so good. Which is another way of saying that they didn't provide the same level of support for their parents, but expect their children to fund them.

Free education? Like university perhaps.
Maggie Thatcher inherited a tax rate of 33%, taxes, that is a lot higher than today.
Most old folk started off in a worse position than a lot of todays young folk, anything they have, they probably accumulated over a lifetime.
It seems to me that a lot of young people expect everthing to be handed to them on a golden plate.
Its actually all a bit sinister, the pensioner is now the new enemy, resentment of older folk is being stoked by stories about "intergenerational unfairness" by the media.
If a young person doesn't own his own house or doesn't own a new car after a couple of years working in Tesco’s, they are told it all the fault of these "minted" pensioners.

Sponsored Links
It seems to me that a lot of young people expect everthing to be handed to them on a golden plate.

If a young person doesn't own his own house or doesn't own a new car after a couple of years working in Tesco’s, they are told it all the fault of these "minted" pensioners.
WARING BULLS HIT ALERT! Another imagined clueless statement made by another crotchety old git with zero interaction with young people.:rolleyes:

Dumber than a box of nails. Nat Ins is not banked up it's not a hypothecated tax.
So this extra money shouldnt be spent on the current old fogies as they didnt contribute to it then.

You seem to be the one who is dumb...

I seem to recall paying NI and a considerable amount of tax for all of my working life, now is the time I reap some of the benefits of all that I have put into that system - though like many - I am currently claiming nothing back and do not expect.

OK, I am one of the 'lucky' ones. I worked hard, put money aside and was careful. So should the government now try to reduce my self provided good standard of living to help support the young?

Young people will bear this burden of higher Nats Ins and the people who will benefit the most are the old fogies. More intergenerational wealth transfer. :mrgreen:

Rubbish - who paid for the upbringing of these young people, their education, the roads, the houses, all of the infrastructure these young people use. We all stand on the shoulders of our predecessors.

Given that retirement age goes up every year….by then those young people might be retiring at about 85

Perhaps, but they will be fitter and more able to work on too, then still have a period in retirement. The period of retirement has to be a proportion of the length of the working life, to be affordable.

WARING BULLS HIT ALERT! Another imagined clueless statement made by another crotchety old git with zero interaction with young people.:rolleyes:

Personal borrowing has never been as high as it is now, nor repossessions, a result of the young wanting everything at once. I made do when I was young, I never bought anything I couldn't pay cash for, or I did without until I had the money. I rode and drove battered old vehicles around the country to work, made do and mended until I could afford something better.

Correct. Gold plated generous pension pots are becoming extinct. The nation could never afford them in any case and especially now with more old duffers than dynamic young people in the UK.

I don't have a Gold plated pension pot, just my state pension, plus what I did without, to put by.

When I was young, me and Mrs Mottie went without plenty to get a deposit together to buy a house. We had a mortgage when you had to wait for one to be allocated by your building society and the interest rate wasn’t what it was now. When we got that house, everything bar the bed was secondhand. The house was a wreck, we lived upstairs for a whole year as the downstairs was literally a building site. We had one old car between us and rarely took holidays. We didn’t live on credit - if we couldn’t afford something, we didn’t have it. When we had children, Mrs Mottie gave up work for over 10 years to raise them and we lived on one wage. We didn’t pack them off into a kiddie farm, sorry, nursery. All our friends were no different.

I don’t know of any young couples nowdays that would do that. The want a new house fitted out with new furniture, a tv in every room, holidays abroad, a new car each (leased of course), gym membership, nights out and still want to live like they are living at home with mum and dad and have no responsibilities. It’s no wonder they don’t want to chip in for others as others have done for them and their parents. They are still kids well into their thirties. They need to grow up.

Sponsored Links
Back