Tax & Spend Tories

Personal borrowing has never been as high as it is now, nor repossessions, a result of the young wanting everything at once. I made do when I was young, I never bought anything I couldn't pay cash for, or I did without until I had the money. I rode and drove battered old vehicles around the country to work, made do and mended until I could afford something better.
Lol. You posted that while I was composing my post. Practically the same!

Sponsored Links
When I was young, me and Mrs Mottie went without plenty to get a deposit together to buy a house.

Since those days, the price of houses has gone up much faster than wages.

Which is a fact you know but prefer to ignore.

The nation could never afford them in any case

If the "nation" had invested most of the money they collected as National Insurance Contributions then there would be far more money available now for state pensions. Instead of investing money for future income they spent it on vote gathering short term projects. The message at the time was that the government was "borrowing" the money and would repay it later. It was never repaid.

Tories may be "tax and spend" but the others are "borrow and spend" Eventually the people they are borrowing from say enough is enough and there is no more money to borrow, and the large debt has to be repaid.

That means increase taxation by the next government who have to be Tax and spend and repay

Sponsored Links
Maggie Thatcher inherited a tax rate of 33%, taxes, that is a lot higher than today.
Most old folk started off in a worse position than a lot of todays young folk, anything they have, they probably accumulated over a lifetime.
It seems to me that a lot of young people expect everthing to be handed to them on a golden plate.
Its actually all a bit sinister, the pensioner is now the new enemy, resentment of older folk is being stoked by stories about "intergenerational unfairness" by the media.
If a young person doesn't own his own house or doesn't own a new car after a couple of years working in Tesco’s, they are told it all the fault of these "minted" pensioners.
This isn't about fault, this is economics.

Let's stick to the older system and if you get unwell you can sell your house. These changes aren't going to benefit the young, this is to benefit pensioners.

Last edited:
This isn't about fault, this is economics.

Let's stick to the older system and if you get unwell you can sell your house. These changes aren't going to benefit the young, this is to benefit pensioners.

and their younger beneficiaries - lets make the old pay twice for their care, once in taxes and NI during their working lives, then again by stealing their savings and assets when they can no longer work.

I always remember a pensioner / neighbour of mine when I was very young and didn't understand much. He had served his country, been crippled, lived alone in a rented house and was penniless. He couldn't afford electric bills, used a tiny oil lamp which he carried round with him, he never had a fire lit, except when it was absolutely freezing. His treat of the week would be asking me to nip to a local shop for two ounces of cheese.

If nothing else, it taught me to work hard, be careful with money and make sure I provided well for my own old age.

Do we really want to go back to those days?

Last edited:
and their younger beneficiaries - lets make the old pay twice for their care, once in taxes and NI during their working lives, then again by stealing their savings and assets when they can no longer work.
This is what has always been the case. Changing it now is making a change to what you seem to think is a more fair arrangement. To benefit the old.

One that the old didn't provide when they were young and their parents and grandparents were on pensions.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, but we shouldn't be blind to it.

I know this isn't going to be popular but I'd say it's time to stop paying people to breed (Child benefits).
In the year that the UK is hosting the COP26 meeting that would show the world the UK is serious about the rate the human biomass is damaging the planet in it's uncontrolled growth.

I'm not saying stop it now for those families in existance but from a date in the future. Whether it is done by paying it out for all but then is recoveed by tax once once you earn over a certain amount (£26-30K ?) or it is tapered off but once there has been more than 2 births in a family it should be stopped completely. OK in years to come the tax revenue will decrease but the world will be a better place for having less people on it.

Last edited:
It's 20+ years ago that my widowed father needed short term help following a hip replacement operation. Hospital sent social services to assess what they could do. As I was there for a couple of days to help whilst he returned to his home I wasn't party to much of the converstaion; but Social Services rather than assessing his needs and how long it was needed for they only seemed to be interested in assessing how much they could charge him; think it was in excess of £250 a week. Afraid to say he told them in no uncertain terms of what he thought of their 'offer' after he'd paid in all his working life.

In the end I had to take 6 weeks unpaid holiday to provide the help he initially needed rather than wanted.

I know this isn't going to be popular but I'd say it's time to stop paying people to breed (Child benefits).
In the year that the UK is hosting the COP26 meeting that would show the world the UK is serious about the rate the human biomass is damaging the planet in it's uncontrolled growth.

I agree with that and especially so the young females being encouraged to get pregnant so they can get a free council home. There is a local council street near here, full of single mothers.

and especially so the young females being encouraged to get pregnant so they can get a free council home

or a medal

Awarded for "...exceptional merit to the German nation" (to Reichsdeutsche and Volksdeutsche mothers who exhibited probity, exemplary motherhood, and who conceived and raised four or more children in the role of a parent)
175px-Deutsches_Reich_Mother%27s_Cross_of_Honour.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back