Telephone wires in the box (photo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move by phone point into another room. It involves reducing the cable size.

I am ready to drill my new hole, but i am just not sure how i will go about reconnecting up the 4 wires in the connection box (pictured).

I don't want to remove one of the wires for fear of loosing my service. Can anyone tell me how these wires are secured in place because it looks like they are held in place, but not by a screw.

If i did cut my cable and then used a stanley knife to open up the cabling, how do i go about fitting these back into place ?

thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 335
Sponsored Links
How much ..... ! You can get a proper tool for less than £2 on eBay inc delivery !

Sponsored Links
With the proper tool, as long as you get the tool in the slot correctly then it will nearly always "just work". If you try to bodge it with a screwdriver or knife then you'll more than likely damage the connectors.
The "proper" Krone tool includes a sensor so that it won't snip the wire until it's fully inserted. Many tools (pretty well all the very cheap ones) don't have this, so you need to be careful to make sure the wire is fully inserted - if you are slightly off-line then it's possible to push the tool, it clicks, but the wire isn't fully into the slot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krone_LSA-PLUS

From the photo, it looks as though external drop wire has been used to wire an internal extension jack. Does the cable running to this jack take a route via the outside?

I have bought the tool, just waiting now.

PBC-1966

There was another extension next to this one, but that is now out and not connected to anything. The cable runs along the wall from the connector block where the wire from the road comes in. So i think it is pretty straight forward to pull out the cable from the clips and push it through my new hole and then cut off the excess wire and strip back and wire in place. Luckily i am going backwards so i don't need to extend the cable. Just need the tool for this now.

Do you think i would need to use a different cable and would i be able to connect up inside the black block on the wall ?

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 313
If the brown cable from the black box on the outsde wall goes directly to the box you are moving then it would appear that you do not have a Master Socket in the circuit. Without a Master Socket some telephones will not ring on incoming calls and OpenReach will not be able to test your line if you report a fault on it.

The black box on the wall and the brown cable from it are OpenReach ( BT ) property and shold not be interfered with.

Assuming that's the first or only socket, your best bet would be to buy a pukka OpenReach NTE5 socket and fit that - then you've got a "correct" installation. It also means you can fit a filtered face plate with is by far the neatest way to do the filtering for xDSL broadband.

Yes it is the only socket in the house. I will look into getting a master socket.

I think BT would charge me £100 to move this socket so i am going to do it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back