Temporary Electrical Repairs

That is simply not good enough. How about if you were working on this same fault and it was coming to you finish time say 17:00. Would you be happy leaving the fault or would you stay and identify and leave power on in a safe manner.

JohnW2 has not suggested isolating all power but to simply isolate the faulty circuit. As a short term solution he stated

provide a temporary supply for anything that can't go without power until the next day

Whats so unreasonable about that?

I know what I would do in my duty of care!

Are you suggesting your duty of care is to restore power to all socket outlets?

Splitting a ring is not difficult and if you are not able to do it in a reasonable time then out of hours call out is not for you, is it?

Maybe so, but it can certainly be time consuming. I would say this could easily require a couple of hours to locate and restore power. Would you agree?

Now imagine carrying out this work early hours of the morning needing in many of the rooms to test when there are people/young children sleeping. What if the rfc feeds both the ground and first floor? Does this seem like a good idea now?

Sponsored Links
Whats so unreasonable about that?

Absolutely nothing.

It's vibro who's being unreasonable.

If common sense doesn't tell you that disconnecting a faulty circuit temporarily and making temporary arrangements to supply essential equipment and then making an appointment to return to complete the work is reasonable, then just call the ECA and they will put you straight.

:rolleyes:

There is nothing unreasonable about it as long as the tenant is willing to be without sockets till it's rectified. What is unreasonable is leaving the fault and energizing an un safe circuit.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's you that misunderstood. I have never suggested leaving the faulty circuit energised in a tenant's property.

Kind Regards, John.
Your quite right, I think it is me that has misunderstood. Your posts do not say you would leave the existing fault energized!

Yeah, maybe not misunderstood, but I am confused now!

Looking back at page 1, the OP mentioned the shorted circuit being put on the non RCD side to restore power.

Yeah, maybe not misunderstood, but I am confused now!

Looking back at page 1, the OP mentioned the shorted circuit being put on the non RCD side to restore power.

And leaving the fault in place, just removing the rcd that was tripping as it should. Not smart is it?

Yeah, maybe not misunderstood, but I am confused now! Looking back at page 1, the OP mentioned the shorted circuit being put on the non RCD side to restore power.
I don't really understand why you are confused. As you say, that's what the OP said had been done, inviting comments about it (and its compliance) - and the majority (but not all) of us have responded by saying we do not think it is acceptable.

Kind Regards, John.

Neither is acceptable to leave in a customers home.
Either correct it or leave it unenergized (and by that I mean say disconnecting it in such a way that it can not be easily re-energised
say by the flick of a switch/mcb either)

The Wiring Regs make it clear that a temporary installation is to be made at least as safe if not actually safer than a permanent one.

Neither is acceptable to leave in a customers home. Either correct it or leave it unenergized (and by that I mean say disconnecting it in such a way that it can not be easily re-energised
say by the flick of a switch/mcb either)
Agreed - and, unless it were a DP switch or DP MCB, 'flicking it off' would not clear the N-E fault and therefore enable the RCD to be re-set, anyway.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back