Ten Amp Fuse in a Telly Plug (aka plugtop)

I remain of the view that if it costs little or nothing more (in time/effort or pence) to fit an appropriate 'smaller' fuse, then "why not?", if there is an outside chance that it just might, one day, 'do good'.
I remain of the view that one should fit the fuse specified by the manufacturer, or the smallest rating that will enable the device to work.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I remain of the view that one should fit the fuse specified by the manufacturer, or the smallest rating that will enable the device to work.
The latter is, of course, what I've been talking about.

If, for whatever reason, the manufacturer specifies a fuse rating appreciably higher than that, do you feel that it would be reasonable, if one so wished, to exceed that 'minimum requirement' and to use a smaller fuse (which still "enabled the device to work"), on the basis that (as per your next post) that would "provide the maximum probability of protection to the appliance" ??

Kind Regards, John

Would you replace an MCB for one of a lower rating if changing a cooker to an oven?
That's a debatable one, since appliances get changed backwards and forwards. However, as I recently wrote, if I "re-purposed" an unused 45A shower circuit to feed, say, an immersion heater, I probably would replace the MCB with one of lower rating.

Kind Regards, John

If, for whatever reason, the manufacturer specifies a fuse rating appreciably higher than that, do you feel that it would be reasonable, if one so wished, to exceed that 'minimum requirement' and to use a smaller fuse (which still "enabled the device to work"), on the basis that (as per your next post) that would "provide the maximum probability of protection to the appliance" ??
If one wished to increase the probability of nuisance tripping beyond the probability that the manufacturer considered acceptable.

If one wished to increase the probability of nuisance tripping beyond the probability that the manufacturer considered acceptable.
By 'nuisance tripping', do I take it that you are referring to the fuse blowing during normal operation?

If so, I did say " (which still "enabled the device to work") " and maybe I should have clarified for you that, by "work", I meant 'work without the fuse blowing during normal operation'!

You seem to have a lot of faith in what manufacturer's say. Do you really think that the manufacturer of the OP's 32" TV believed that there would be a significant risk of the plug fuse blowing during normal operation if it were rated less than 10A?

Kind Regards, John

John: Ok, fair enough - but that's you thinking like you are.
Stillp: Ok, that's honest, but why not?

I've been trying to think of an analogy but it's difficult with the oddity that is the British fused plug.

I think the nearest I can come up with is -
with the introduction of LED lighting, has it even occurred to anyone that it might do some good if the lighting circuit MCB rating was reduced to 1A?

You seem to have a lot of faith in what manufacturer's [sic] say.
Yes, I do - at least the better ones.
Do you really think that the manufacturer of the OP's 32" TV believed that there would be a significant risk of the plug fuse blowing during normal operation if it were rated less than 10A?
I think it is quite likely that Samsung thought that, yes, depending of course on what you meant by "significant" and by how much lower the fuse rating might be.

I think the nearest I can come up with is - with the introduction of LED lighting, has it even occurred to anyone that it might do some good if the lighting circuit MCB rating was reduced to 1A?
It has certainly occurred to me :)

Kind Regards, John

Stillp: Ok, that's honest, but why not?
Were you referring to my answer about the MCB for an oven? If so, I probably wouldn't because a) changing an MCB is harder work and more expensive than changing a plug fuse, and b) ovens are pretty rugged things that don't usually need close t protection.

I think it is quite likely that Samsung thought that, yes, depending of course on what you meant by "significant" and by how much lower the fuse rating might be.
Do you really think that?

Let's assume that it is an LED (32") TV, in which case it probably draws less than 50W (about 0.2A) during normal operation (most seem to be only a bit over 30W these days). Can you think of any mechanism whereby such a device would ever blow a BS1362 fuse of any rating (certainly 3A, although 1A would probably be fine) during normal operation??

So, to answer your questions, by "significant" I mean having a greater probability (EFLI won't like that!) than once in a blue moon and let's say a 3A fuse.

Kind Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back