Tesco fuel stations

Sponsored Links
For the record, as much as I hate the company, its Tesco. Not Tesco's.

But as the "co" refers to "Cohen" (surname of the company's original owner), isn't it possessive?

Sainsbury's, owned by J Sainsbury PLC, seem to be quite happy with the possessive on their surname.

Waitrose is built out of two surnames, Waite and Rose. So would it be Waite's'n'Rose's?

But Morrisons, started by Morrison, does not use the apostrophe. That's rather peculiar for a company from Bradford, a city where the apostrophe is used in almost every word... why, I've never been to Bradford without hearing a local say "I'm going t'pub, then I'll walk t'whippet, then it's down t'mosque for t'Friday prayers lad."

My head's starting to spin. I'm off down to Tesco's to pick up some paracetamol.

It's like the OED, getting remit, then just going feck it, we don't care! Does anyone care? As in this thread..

Sponsored Links
"I'm going t'pub, then I'll walk t'whippet, then it's down t'mosque for t'Friday prayers lad."
Oh dear oh dear!
Another "Saathenner" who doesn't quite get the intricate vocal nuances of the north. No one actually pronounces the "t" when in place of "the", rather it is a slightly guttural sound almost silent, occasionally just a pause. There is a pronounced t used to replace "to" when used as a motion toward --by 'eck.

"I'm going t'pub, then I'll walk t'whippet, then it's down t'mosque for t'Friday prayers lad."
Oh dear oh dear!
Another "Saathenner" who doesn't quite get the intricate vocal nuances of the north. No one actually pronounces the "t" when in place of "the", rather it is a slightly guttural sound almost silent, occasionally just a pause. There is a pronounced t used to replace "to" when used as a motion toward --by 'eck.

Has anyone a link to the classic song, "On Inkley moor bar tat?" translated "On <unspecified> moor without a hat", with the lyrics provided, and the cockneys thought the had slang in the bag! And I'm not even from Yorkshire! The 't' prefix, I think is a west yorkshire influence.

Back in t'70s, I played rugby for The Treaty House in Uxbridge & one night they were all singing Ilkley Moor. Not one of them (southern softies) had a clue what it meant! :rolleyes:
So I translated best I could, it being in Yawksheer , which if you didn't know is a place on t' wrong side o' t' Pennines.

Tesco's Newbury

Out of 12 pumps 5 out of action and to add insult to injury the one I finally got to the PAP receipt not working so had to go in and get the assistant out to get one done. She moaned about them always breaking down too!

Will post more as I see them on my travels.

Very interesting :cry:

I could understand if you were complaining about how much petrol has gone up by in the 8 months since somebody posted on this thread ;)

Thank goodness for mobile phones. I would never have believed you without the photographic evidence to back up your claim. I shall now sleep soundly tonight knowing that your claim was not in fact made up but was completely true. What you going to do about it though, write to your MP or maybe write to Tesco's head office, I hear they take problems like this very seriously especially if you mention that you'd posted evidence on the internet and embarrassed them mentioning that such an action was likely to cost them dearly in lost business, I suspect they'd get on the phone right away and order an investigation as to why some of their pumps were out of action, the multi billion pound global giant fools that they are. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

FWIW, Sainsbury's near me has exactly the same problems you point out. Pumps not in use, then when you go in to pay they usually have one person stacking shelves, another filling the ciggies up and one behind the till. All at a time when the queue is out the door and halfway round the forecourt.
The Asda store near us, changed their pumps last year to ones that only accept bank and credit cards (no cash at all and definitely no cashiers)
The bank card I have, isn't accepted by any of the pumps there , so Asda lose out on my custom.
(Whilst on the subject of Asda. Whenever we go shopping there, SWMBO always insists on using the self service tills. "It's much faster.!" (she reckons) A typical scenario,,,, "Please scan first item, or press the start button ."
She scans the first item, but is then too slow to place it in a bag. The machine says "Please place the item in the bag, or press skip bagging to continue."
She faffs about trying to get a carrier bag open. By the time she has a bag open and places the item into it, the machine is already bleeping and says "Please wait for assistance."
The assistant eventually appears, enters their pass code into the till so we can continue the routine.
The next item requires weighing. She places the item on the scales then has to select the correct item from a menu. Oh no dear, you've selected tomatoes at £2 a kilo when you've actually got onions at £0.50p a kilo. Wait for the assistant again. .....................

Next item is from the alcohol section,, wait for an assistant ,,,again.............
Ans do it continues, till the last item. She's treated herself to some hair straighteners.. Ahh, this needs the assistant again as it's an electrical item . So the assistant goes to the customer service desk to fetch a special guarantee holder for the receipt..
Finally, the shopping is done. (or so I think) She then tries 4 times to put a £20 note into the damn machine, only for it to keep coming back out again. Now I'm getting frantic. Call the assistant over. She says "Yeah, this machine is always rejecting £20 notes, wait here and I'll get it changed for two tenners...... She finally returns with two tenners, Meanwhile SWMBO has managed to feed the machine with another £20 note no problems and is now filling it up with the oddment.
Really ,,Honestly,, Finally the machine says,,, "Please wait for your receipt, remove your shopping."
And as we walk slowly away, shouts after us,,,,,,, "Thanks for using the fast lane."
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

For the record, as much as I hate the company, its Tesco. Not Tesco's.

I buy my fuel from Morrisons because its Yorkshire fuel, so better.
Aye , grafted from t`oil bearing strata under T`dales by true Brits, Tha knows :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back