testing electric blankets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently saw an electric underblanket tested by means of an insulation test(with a mega), visual inspection & running it live to check that the stat worked. It did not seem particularly impressive, but I could not think of anything more that could be done. Is there a more thorough way of testing these potentially dangerous devices.

Sponsored Links
Most of these blankets are classII equipment now and therefore there is very few tests that can be done on them.

The (Mega) test most likely was just to prove continuity of the element, the visual which is 90% of all test even in PAT and making sure the thermostat cuts out at various temperature settings.

Seem pretty thorough to me.

I dont know how anyone can use these things. I wouldnt be able to sleep. But I'm a hot sleeper anyway.

Sponsored Links
If you do use one, it's a good idea to invest in a plug in RCD safety power breaker, the sort recommended for lawnmowers etc, and use it everytime you plug in the blanket - adds to the safety.

or just get an extra duvet for loads less money. I think they are one of the most dodgyest ideas ever conceived!

Electric blankets are totally safe, they only cause a little over 5000 fires a year! :eek:

Which will all have been counted as electrical fires in the original justifications for Part P... :LOL:

New electric blankets are ok.

Once they get to an age where people think about testing them, it's time to get rid of it and buy a new one.

[EDIT]Rendered superfluous and possibly confusing by the removal of the spam post to which it was a reply.[/EDIT]

Fill the bath with water, chuck the blanket in and give it an insulation test.

When it fails, bin it.

And if you use an RCD, remember to use a conductive sheet which has been earthed otherwise the RCD won't work.

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back