Tests after Boiler repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my system gas boiler repaired by an Engineer today, the fan had seized so it was replaced with a new one.

Are there any tests/checks that should of been carried out after this work? The guy put it back together, turned it on, it worked, then he left. (?)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you would expect as gas engineer to check its safe operation when working on your appliance. But he may have completed them without you knowing, most safety checks are quick and easy to do some are just visual observation.

As a minimum he should have checked the power input.

But you dont say on what basis he was there.

If its from a cheap repairer or insurance cover then dont expect very much at all.

Tony

He he he...Tony also tests the calorific value of the gas, casing paint thickness and has a full chemical analysis of the coffee that you serve... :D

Sponsored Links

But you dont say on what basis he was there.

If its from a cheap repairer or insurance cover then dont expect very much at all.

Tony

Not insurance cover (not that daft) and not a cheap repairer by any stretch - A firm that was recommended by Which?

Do you mean electrical power input? he didn't have a multimeter or any test gear with him.

Not so - burner pressure would have done!

I had the burner pressure test in mind if its a conventional burner but my term also covered a premix boiler.

Its the gas input power which needs to be measured. On older boilers that can be done by measuring the gas pressure applied to the burners. On newer boilers that needs to be checked at the gas meter.

Engineers recommended by Which magazine? I dont see how they can recommend the local independents who usually give faster and more economic repairs.

Tony Glazier

Not so - burner pressure would have done!

I had the burner pressure test in mind if its a conventional burner but my term also covered a premix boiler.

Its the gas input power which needs to be measured. On older boilers that can be done by measuring the gas pressure applied to the burners. On newer boilers that needs to be checked at the gas meter.

Engineers recommended by Which magazine? I don't see how they can recommend the local independents who usually give faster and more economic repairs.

Tony Glazier

It was a Which 'Local' website that I had access to a while back, most of them were local independents that were recommended by customers, I tried them first but all were snowed under with work for a week or so...

the missus was not going to wait that long!!

Thanks for the information all.

Get the boiler serviced if you want it checked fully; a service is not free with a repair.

If I replace the fan, I would only check fan operates as required by the makers. If boiler is to be serviced then I would do all the checks required.

What did you expect the guy to do? What did you invite him to do? Would you have paid him to carry out FGA?

A repair is just a repair. Would normally be followed by operation check or what the manual stated.

What would your missus do? If mine wants me to sort summut out that she can do herself, then she can either wait for me to do it or bloody well sort it out herself.

Ok so the boiler now works, has a fan fitted by a skilled guy, and because you feel the bill was steep he should of checked it better? You don't know a thing about gas boilers but the rgi did, but because you stood and watched like a hawk and think hey that was quick and looked easy how come the bill is xyz. The reason its xyz my friend is because you paid for a skill the chap has trained for the repair was done with one part and no additions count yourself lucky you got honesty and a repair before christmas. I own a BMW the tyres are dear I ask a scuffy chap the change a tyre £170 plus £40 fit takes him 10 mins thought jeez that looks easy, now have a chap who works at a tyre place, asked to have a go, on a first try to remove the tyre I gave up as I dont have that skill. Just cause I looks easy and looks like no test were carried out dosent mean he didn't test visual aspects. Merry christmas

If combustion cover was off for fan to be fitted then dynamic and working pressure and gas rate is what I would have done.

Shambolic,I do not believe for one second you would check the working pressure and gas rate an appliance after replacing a fan!

From GSIUR

26(9) Where a person performs work on a gas appliance he shall immediately thereafter examine—

(a)the effectiveness of any flue;
(b)the supply of combustion air;
(c)its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;
(d)its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back