Text Scam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sure this has been around a while, but it has just hit one of my infrequntly used numbers.

FreeMsg:Youve won!Txt WON to 80160 to see what you have won.pvd by Texts4Gifts.Over 16.Stop?txt stop to 80160.Chance to win every week Subscribe for £1.50/week

Sender:80160

Message centre: +447802000332

I have Googled it and it seems to be a scam where they take money off your credit when you top-up. I have yet to top up to see if this is true, but I have rung T-Mobile this AM and they will block all premium text services to my sim.

The only drawback is that I will not be able to download stuff from the internet, but I don't use web browsing on this sim card anyway.

So if you're having this problem, try calling your provider.

The other advice I've had is that sending "STOP" may not stop all services. In this case, try sending "STOP ALL". A helpful tip not given in the body of the message. Wonder why? :evil:

Sponsored Links
I think that because as soon as you send stop to the spam number it shows to the spammers that your number is live and then you keep recieving the spam at your cost.

FreeMsg:Youve won!Txt WON to 80160 to see what you have won.pvd by Texts4Gifts.Over 16.Stop?txt stop to 80160.Chance to win every week Subscribe for £1.50/week

Sender:80160

Message centre: +447802000332

I have Googled it and it seems to be a scam where they take money off your credit when you top-up.
Nope, they will send you a premium (Reversed charge) message every week at £1.50.

They rely on naive youg 'uns texting it back and not realising they have subscribed. Like Jamster, the other great scam of the decade. :rolleyes: (the latest jamster advert features a "ringtone" that goes "hello is me i kill you" I mean, come on, why do they pay for this ****?)

Sponsored Links
Mind you, you have to marvel at the long chain of human techinical achievements this scam is the end product of.

I mean, 150,000 years ago you just walked up to someone, clobbered them on the head with a tree branch and nicked there freshly killed deer.

Back