Strange MMS messages arriving on mobile phone. A scam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I had three identical messages from a number I have in my phone's contact list, each one told me they'd sent a photo to site xyz (phone company's mms location perhaps), and that my password was such and such.
I rang the 'sender', and she had no knowledge of sending anything to me.

Last night two of the same arrived, attributed to another sender.

I had had text contact with each during the past two weeks.

Should I be worried that someone has gained access to my contacts list? What should I do to retain the privacy that I thought I had?

The phone is an iPhone 5.
Last night it updated to OS12.1

Sponsored Links
Was the quoted password correct?

I’d soak it in water overnight to wash the scammers out ;)

you're using a smartphone

With various added apps? How reputable are they?

Do you know how to read and edit "permissions" on your phone? you'll be surprised how many apps have permission to turn on your camera, read your contacts, read your emails, record your location, etc.

For a time, Facebook allowed apps to read not only your own contact details, but also details of your facebook friends (who had obviously not given permission).

Do you have a security package on your phone?

No apps have been installed recently. The last one was Honeywell Home about 2 months ago.

I'm aware of how to turn ON-OFF permissions in the settings folder, but my concern is more that private data has been accessed by an unknown third party. Moreover it seems reasonable to assume that this third party has access to my contacts list, and could send messages of this sort to any or all on there. Presumably they are phishing for info on those who do phone/mobile banking?

Sponsored Links
Similar thing has happened to my PC.
I have been attacked by someone with a keylogger who sent me an email (creepily, it was from my email address) telling me "my password", which was a password I use for occasional visits to shopping websites (not Amazon or ebay). Once in, I have to enter my payment details using a virtual keyboard, so these are not able to be logged.

So they sent me an email telling me they had pictures from my webcam of me doing lewd things while watching nefarious websites. They told me they wanted 5K in bitcoin or else they would pass on all these images to my entire email address book.

Well, I don't have a webcam, or watch nefarious sites, so I ignore them. They get very annoyed!

Sounds like someone sent you an incompatible MMS and your carrier has stored it on their server, forwarding login details. It happens if someone accidentally text a message to a landline number or your MMS setting are incorrect.

Unfortunately there are also scams out there that replicate them.

Sponsored Links
Back