The AA recovery service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a big cheers to the AA.....
I was heading to France on my motorbike - got to Portsmouth ferry dock when the rear wheel bearings collapsed :eek: 6.30 pm.
Decided that I couldn't continue (obviously) and after a while decided that my best option was to be trailered home. I have the Roadside Relay recovery level.
Phoned the AA who explained my options; they got a truck to me within the hour; first driver took me to Birmingham where the AA found me a Travelodge; in the morning the next driver phoned me to say he was on his way - took me to Scotch Corner where another truck was standing by.
The next driver brought me to my door.
I couldn't wish to meet more professional guys who took fantastic care of me and my bike. Nothing was too much trouble and the general organisation was incredible (phone calls when they said, etc).
To this side of the AA - 100% and many, many thanks! :cool: When I got home, the first guy actually rang me to ask how I was!
Post script....3 wheel bearings £21, fitted them in 1 1/2 hrs. :p
France and La Rochelle will have to wait until next year.
John :D

Sponsored Links
I couldn't agree more.

The AA provide a first class service. Whenever I have had to use them they have been top notch, and I end up sending an email to them to thank them for their excellent service.

It would be worth you dropping a line to them John to reiterate what you have said on here, they really do appreciate it, and the lads who helped you get commended by their bosses.

Nice post John.

They left me stood on the hard shoulder of the M62 from just before 11pm right through to 4am one night last autumn.

That's despite my phoning them every half hour and being told every time that "our contractor will be with you in ten minutes" - they didn't have a single one of their own vans working anywhere in the Liverpool area that night.

And it was raining all night!

Cheers Lou!
In fact I did e-mail the AA to commend their staff (fortunately the paperwork included names and numbers) and they said they'd pass it on.
I hope they did!
Although my holiday wasn't to be, they made it a remarkable experience at the end of the day.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've been towed off the hard shoulder of the M40 at least twice by the AA and couldn't fault the service. I think it's a case of you get what you pay for - they're not the cheapest recovery service, but in my experience, they're the best. And tbh, when you're sitting at the side of the road after an hour waiting for el cheapo rescue co to come and pick you up, are you grateful for the £20 a year you saved by using them instead of the AA?

Hi John

A motorbike - you must be younger than I thought :D I have belonged to the AA since 1958, in fact they sent us a nice leather bound atlas on the 50th aniversary. We also get free homestart now not that I generally need it because my tools are at home.

The response I have had from them over the years has been variable, we have sometimes been kept waiting for ages but others have been recovered very quickly. We didn't use them very much until I started running the Citroen XMs about 15 years ago, we had several rescues until I really got to grips with them, now they rarely break down.

I do think there service has improved in the last few years, probably as they have more competion but I took a dim view of them not recovering our car after my wife was involved in an accident, but on enquiry they all seem to be the same.

Peter

Good morning Peter :D
Yes at the tender age of 57 I still ride a 168 bhp Honda :cool:
One small snippet from the AA drivers.....apparently if you want european cover there's no need to take out a years subscription - you can just pay for the time you need it ;)
Regards
John :)

I thought their policy was to recover to the nearest point of repair, they seem to beyond their remit there?

My car broke down, on a cordoned off section of the motorway, the temp gauge went through the roof, then to cold, as the car ejected all the coolant, as a hose had blown, due to a faulty thermostat....

So I'm standing at the side of the motorway, as the breakdown lane was used as a normal lane, seeing vehicles swerving at the last minute, thinking my car is going to be wiped out any second...

The AA man turns up, lifts the bonnet, yeah, its seized mate. fills the radiator full of water, which leaks out, tows me to the nearest exit, get on son...I managed to drive about 5 miles, about 2 miles from home, after a 200 mile trip...dump the car, walk the rest...Ring my girlfriends mother, about another 4 miles away..."YOU ARE USING THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO **** HER!!!!! BRING HER HOME NOW!!!!!!"

Brought the car back the next day with another top up of water, limped it home, turns out a stuck thermostat, and it threw a hose....but her Mother eventually won, and I'm not with her any more.

I have always found them very good for long distance recovery. The head cracked on my Citroen CX in north Wales and they got me back home but we had to change vehicles three times.

One thing to watch if you have old cheap cars like mine, if you go abroad and break down they will only recover the vehicle if its worth more than the recovery cost - unless you pay the difference :(

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back