The ABSOLUTE TRUTH

Reaction score
Country
United States
okay here goes.

I understand (even for a yank) that telling the truth is important. I understand that when giving advice, it is best to be truthful and honest and caring. However, when "handing out" advice, dont you also believe that the person(s) that read your advice, also have a responsibility to themselves, to sort through good advice from bad....to educate themselves as well? I understand the technical advice people give here in other forums, may not be as common knowledge for all, hence, why they came here in the first place.....but if that's really the ultimate goal, another suggestion would be to have those forums be "manned" by those qualified to answer....the whole forum wouldnt have to be set up that way...just the ones where giving "bad" advice could have damaging impact on peoples' lives. In general discussion, if I advised, that swimming in the freezing North Sea would make you happier, healthier and richer beyond your wildest dreams.....does that make me liable for someone who succumbs to hypothermia and dies? :cry: ;)

Sponsored Links
mlb3c said:
okay here goes.

I understand (even for a yank) that telling the truth is important. I understand that when giving advice, it is best to be truthful and honest and caring. However, when "handing out" advice, dont you also believe that the person(s) that read your advice, also have a responsibility to themselves, to sort through good advice from bad....to educate themselves as well?
You're absolutely right. But, bad advice will not stay undetected for long on forums like these.
It has its own name nowadays: peer-correction. Wikipedia is created and evolves on this great principle.

mlb3c said:
......... if I advised, that swimming in the freezing North Sea would make you happier, healthier and richer beyond your wildest dreams.....does that make me liable for someone who succumbs to hypothermia and dies? :cry: ;)

Only if you claimed that you were an 'expert' in this area, and this was your professional view ;)

I think that you have a very good point though - people are not so good these days at taking responsibility for themselves (or what they read or write). My professional view (openeing myself to a law suit here :eek: ;)) is that this is the result of people being protected from 'risk-taking'. People's views are based on 'what they have learned', or their own experiences. This is all fair and well - as long as the person has asked themself - "Is this still the best way and is my knowledge current"? Things change all the time (hopefully striving for improvement), change can be seen as a threat to some people, so they 'hold onto' their 'outdated' views - BUT, believing them to be correct/right.

Nowadays, because of litigation and the 'blame-culture' that we are living in, this is not the best practice, as there is always going to be someone who will try to make money out of some 'poor sod' :(

I've always been taught - if you don't know about something - "shut up" and leave it to those who do :LOL:

Gary_M said:
I've always been taught - if you don't know about something - "shut up" and leave it to those who do :LOL:
Or, my rule of life: ask to be taught by those who do ;) And my list of mentors is still growing

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
But, bad advice will not stay undetected for long .....
It has its own name nowadays: peer-correction.....

e.g. The Iraq war :p

It is true what you say, UNLESS the peer group have been 'brainwashed' into believing something that is not accurate. An example of this can be the 'propoganda' that is disseminated, or 'false' information that is given to people - 'supposedly' to protect them (from panic, etc) !!! However, in time this is likely to be challeneged, but not always in a person's lifespan :rolleyes:

Gary_M said:
WoodYouLike said:
But, bad advice will not stay undetected for long .....
It has its own name nowadays: peer-correction.....
e.g. The Iraq war :p
Great example: how many peers didn' trust' the advice or questioned it?
But, my reply had more to do with forums like these, not heavy topics like yours :rolleyes:

mlb3c said:
I understand that when giving advice, it is best to be truthful and honest and caring. However, when "handing out" advice, dont you also believe that the person(s) that read your advice, also have a responsibility to themselves, to sort through good advice from bad....to educate themselves as well?
Indeed I do, but if I see something (of importance) that's clearly wrong, doesn't my general duty of care require me to point it out to those people who don't yet know enough to spot it themselves?

Softus said:
Indeed I do, but if I see something (of importance) that's clearly wrong, doesn't my general duty of care require me to point it out to those people who don't yet know enough to spot it themselves?

Yeah, I think that 'everyone' should take responsibility in such situations, and if you notice something inaccurate, it is correct to point it out to someone - in a diplomatic way of course ;) :p

Softus said:

That is true, but only up to a given point. I feel that criticism should only ever be constructive and not destructive, as destructive criticism does not achieve anything and often the point trying to be made gets lost of the ensuing war of words that often erupts. Everyone here can still learn, and to simply attack a post or poster is unhelpful to all, politely pointing out an error, that may be accidental or simply misunderstanding should, where possible, done in the politest way possible and with links to reference material if available.

I think we all need to know when to back off, when correction is bordering on nit-picking and we continue a discussion just to get the last word in.

mlb3c said:
the last word???

like this??? ;) :p :p
I did think we (members of the female gender) were entitle to that option alone ;) Glad to see you're putting the last word in MLB

Sponsored Links
Back