The Disgraceful Zidane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I'm not a massive fan of football, I follow Wolves and Falkirk a bit, watch MOTD, watch the England games and did watch the last two matches of the World Cup, but I wasn't that bothered. I don't have flags on my car, and would rather watch the game with my neighbour rather than in a pub with a load of monkey boys.

I was appalled at Zidane's headbutt. Just what was he thinking? A fantastic career now in shambles. He's let his team down, his country down, but most importantly, he's let himself down (I am allowed to say that I am a (albeit peripatetic) teacher). That one moment of madness has negated anything else he's done, same with T. Henry faking injuries. If you cheat, you have never won, you are never the best. Every time I see the clip of Zidane I can't believe it. If you did that on a street you'd get prosecuted for assault/affray.

I was disinterested in the result of the game, but after that incident, I really wanted the Italians to win, and am so glad they did.

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
I was disinterested in the result of the game, but after that incident, I really wanted the Italians to win, and am so glad they did.

I felt exactly the same.

Incidentally, what is a peripatetic teacher ? Is it what used to be called a supply teacher, or something different ?

johnny_t said:
notb665 said:

I felt exactly the same.

Incidentally, what is a peripatetic teacher ? Is it what used to be called a supply teacher, or something different ?

No, not a supply teacher, however it means "wandering", so I can see the ambiguity. Peripatetic is only applied to teachers with special specific talents, usually music. Mine is the guitar.

Sponsored Links
I cant help but feel sorry for the guy. He is/was in my opinion the greatest player on the planet and he has let himself down big time.
There's no excuse for what he did but I hope for his sake that people remember him for his football.

I've read somewhere that he was told to "go and f@*k his mother". Not that much of an insult to most of us but apperantly family insults like that dont go down too well with the French. I'll have to remember that one! :evil:

notb665 said:
Peripatetic is only applied to teachers with special specific talents, usually music. Mine is the guitar.
A wandering minstrel you, a thing of shreds and patches...........

Well, it`s all been done before...at least he didn`t go in with both feet :rolleyes: and it was another player not a fan

notb665 said:
That one moment of madness has negated anything else he's done, same with T. Henry faking injuries. If you cheat, you have never won, you are never the best. Every time I see the clip of Zidane I can't believe it. If you did that on a street you'd get prosecuted for assault/affray.

Well, there may be no good defence of Zidane's headbutt, but there may be a little more understanding. We will soon maybe find out more of what was actually said, but if it's true that Materazzi said to Zidane that he wished an ugly death to you and your family, and Zidane has also just found out that his mother is seriously ill, then maybe we can understand a little why he lost it, given his adrenalin would be pumping in this highly charged situation anyway.

To say that this one incident negates anything else he's done is highly unfair. Do you judge everyone by their weakest moments?

For me, it is a shame and sad that such a great footballer's career should end on such a note, but he has still done so much more positive than this moment of temporary insanity. Apart from his football, which at times was sublime, his achievements helped to unify France as a multicultural nation at a time when the far right were in the ascendancy.....it's sad if you underestimate his influence.

Materazzi in the meantime is overlooked as the cameras are not subtle enough to capture the goading and provocation, which are a nasty side of the game nowadays, and the media are only too happy to blow up the end result of a spectacular visual image of Zidane.

Do you think when Materazzi saw Zidane sent off, he didn't think 'job done'? Sometimes certain types of cheating do prosper.

I have always been a great admirer of Zidane and was gob smacked at the way he reacted in the final.
Like most people I thought he had over reacted due to the pressure, and the expectation put on him by the media.
However I read in the press that he has been red carded a staggering 14 times in his footballing career, with at least one of them involving head butting an opponent.
It would seem that it is not entirely out of character.
I dont think even Vinnie Jones got that many red cards, did he?

whatever was said he should have done his talking with his feet. He has a firey temper and was sent off in the 98 world cup for stamping on a player. You would have thought he would have learnt by now. I thought he was a great player and i was such a supporter of him during this world cup, i really thought he played fantastically. I have always loved the world cup since i was a boy and always look forward to them. All in all what happened left a relly sour taste to the end of what should have been a great match

come on guys you have to build up aggression its even encouraged and you can't just turn it off and on at will, his intention was to nut him in the face which would have caused a broken nose and/or worse but he pulled himself up at the last minute and hit the guys chest. ok so the crime is in getting caught but its all blown out of proportion. bet it didnt even hurt the other guy.

drspock said:
I have always been a great admirer of Zidane and was gob smacked at the way he reacted in the final.

Materazzi is a tosser. He played for Everton, who took him from a lower league Italian club, they made him. But he was sent off three times in a season and collecting yellow cards like they were bubble gum cards.

If Materazzi did insult his mother, then he should be dealt with. Lip readers know what he said.

Well said RicharpP :D

Yes, it was wrong what he did, but it wasn't to intentionally seriously hurt him as Richard says...it could've been much worse....headbutting him in the face. Materazzi would have made a meal of it, but it is highly unlikely he would have been seriously hurt from it. Yes, Zidane's got red cards before but it is a passionate game and without that passion we would often stiffle the genius. It was stupid and made a lot worse by the cameras, but there are a lot more serious incidents such as where someone, when jumping for the ball, deliberately swings an elbow at an opponent's head sometimes very cunningly or career threatening tackles where they take out a standing leg sliding in with studs showing.

It was wrong, a terrible advert for the game and the image of it makes it look much worse, but there are much worse things that happen on a football pitch, but they just don't catch the eye so much.

He is a flawed genius, but genius he is, and not so seriously flawed to be totally demonised.

Just my perspective :D

Headbutting in the chest is a well-known way to stop a persons heart. Take a look at the video and see how the guys chest sinks in. He aimed for the chest - he got the chest. He's a thug - and the evidence is there for all to see.

He should be charged by the police with GBH.

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back