The French are revolting.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly, and nothing I buy goes off before it’s used. That’s fresh enough for me. Do you understand 'best before' and 'use by' dates?
Yep.

And I understand a day or so longer in the transport system means less fresh. Do you

Yep.

And I understand a day or so longer in the transport system means less fresh. Do you
Not true. Best before means best before. It's considered at its best up to that point. After that, the quality may not be quite as good. Why pay more for something with a week to go compared to something with 5 days if you are going to eat it before then?

Sponsored Links
Not true. Best before means best before. It's considered at its best up to that point. After that, the quality may not be quite as good. Why pay more for something with a week to go compared to something with 5 days if you are going to eat it before then?
You're confusing bbe and fresh product with use by dates.

A day or so extra in the transport ststem reduces the shelf life of both types though .

Are you saying it's not worse, its the same, or it's better than it was ?

Are you saying it's not worse, its the same, or it's better than it was ?
I’m saying for me, it’s better. Nothing goes off before I eat it, just like before Brexit, but it’s generally cheaper. That’s what the farmers are moaning about, isn’t it?

I’m saying for me, it’s better. Nothing goes off before I eat it, just like before Brexit, but it’s generally cheaper. That’s what the farmers are moaning about, isn’t it?
Less fresh (older before its on the shelves) produce is better for you?

No point going further is there!

Not if you are failing to understand simple things, no.
OK. Explain. Product that takes an extra day to get on the shelf is not as fresh.

How is that better for you, its certainly not better for me. Its worse

OK. Explain. Product that takes an extra day to get on the shelf is not as fresh.
Ok. Tell me what items from the EU that you have all these concerns about and I’ll have a go. Unless you are eating them on the day, anything you buy will be a day older the following day. If you bought some fruit or veg from the greengrocers or some meat from the butcher or some fish from the fishmonger, do you ask what day it was picked, slaughtered or caught on? You're splitting hairs unnecessarily.

Ok. Tell me what items from the EU that you have all these concerns about and I’ll have a go. Unless you are eating them on the day, anything you buy will be a day older the following day. If you bought some fruit or veg from the greengrocers or some meat from the butcher or some fish from the fishmonger, do you ask what day it was picked, slaughtered or caught on? You're splitting hairs unnecessarily.
So a day extra in the transport system is a good thing?

Or its good enough?

Or its worse than before. < that's my answer

Let's try.

Yoghurt.
Lettuce
cucumber
Meat (raw)
Meat (cooked)

Let's try.

Yoghurt.
Lettuce
cucumber
Meat (raw)
Meat (cooked)
And what’s the dates on those items? You could always let your nose, eyes and sense of taste tell you or are you a 'by the book' man that knows something is automatically 'off' one minute after midnight?

And my question was, if you bought items from a greencrocer, butchers or fishmongers, how would you know how old they are?
So you've avoided answering whether an extra day in the supply chain is better, the same, or worse than before.

If the product in the shop is imported then its not got as long a shelf life as before. The shopkeeper will allow for wastage, by increasing his prices

Sponsored Links
Back