The Germans

Sponsored Links
The last German I spoke to thought Fawlty Towers and Ello Ello Hilarious.

Lets just shut everything down, lock ourselves indoors and slowly die of starvation and thirst.

Then when the human race has wiped itself out maybe nature will start again and make a different job of it this time round.

I know coloured people who loved the comedy Love thy Neighbour. Occasionally it will be brought up in a conversation, often by one of them, and we will fall about laughing at the antics they got up to.

Sponsored Links
The sad thing is this is all causing more racial divide. My theory is this has got nothing to do with racism and everything to do with the frustrations and tensions lockdown has caused.

The last German I spoke to thought Fawlty Towers and Ello Ello Hilarious.

Remember the series "Mind Your Language"? It was very funny and poked harmless fun at many different races. Got taken off the telly of course, although I believe it's popular in many other countries still.

Anyone remember 'Curry and Chips'? See if you can watch the first 5 minutes of this without squirming. :eek:

Last edited:
Anyone remember 'Curry and Chips'? See if you can watch the first 5 minutes of this without squirming
I watched the 1st 5 mins, if its left up I will watch the rest.

its sort of shocking as we don't hear that these days, however, some of the comedy is attacking peoples preconceptions and prejudice.

Anyone remember 'Curry and Chips'? See if you can watch the first 5 minutes of this without squirming. :eek:

WOW!, I hadn't remembered it by name but watching a few minutes I do vaguely recall it. Shocking but like 'love thy neighbour' blacks and whites laughed at it in equal measure.

Funny seeing Kenny Lynch in it, former 'pop star'. Do you remember him being on that pro-celebrity snooker thing and Les Dawson (I think) said to him "don't pot the black, it might be a relative", poor old Kenny r.i.p. had tears running down his face.

I really am convinced there was less racism in those days because all races were laughing at the same thing, and talking to each other about it.

Curry and Chips only lasted six episodes before it was pulled.
Johnny Speight who wrote the script said a lot of people misinterpreted the point about racism he was trying to make.

ControversyEdit
The ambition of Curry and Chips was purportedly to highlight discrimination, rather than promote it. The Independent Television Authority disagreed, and Curry and Chips was cancelled by them after only six episodes. Speight himself later remarked, "It was the English who were made to look bigoted in the show but the people at the ITA couldn't understand that. It was London Weekend Television's first year, but only six shows went out. The ITA made LWT take it off, saying it was racist."[4] They were not alone, as amongst those who originally complained about the show were the Race Relations Board.[5]

Screenonline says of the show, "though it again attempted to raise important questions, [it] lacked a strong enough voice to challenge the racist attitudes of its characters, and too much of its humour relied on the use of crude racial abuse and Milligan's caricatured performance as the charmlessly-nicknamed '**** Paddy'. The shocked reaction from some viewers and cultural commentators led to the show being dropped by ITV after just six episodes, and in retrospect it is hard to understand how Speight and LWT can have failed to anticipate the offence it caused."[6]

upload_2020-6-13_1-20-54.png

Doesn't that show the senselessness of simply banning words?

The two are almost identical but one is not allowed, even though it is part of the name of a country, and one is.

You can call me a Janner if you want, I shall be quite proud of it.

https://www.shortlist.com/news/british-regional-nicknames-best-funny-london-north

Anyone from Linlithgow? Not any more; I'll wager.

I understand the argument that banning everything in our past that has racist connotations is not a healthy way forward.

but can anybody provide a solution to ending racism in society?

people of different ethnicity do suffer racism -the trivial stuff, the backhand remarks, name calling etc that goes on -that I imagine can be a dripping tap.

everybody on here is up in arms over what they dont want changed..............

Sponsored Links
Back