The great GU10, Halogen/CFL/L.E.D/ debate

BAS I know your stance, but these do exactly what I want them to.
My kitchen has other lighting, these are just for preparation area and to highlight a picture.
The other room again other lighting, and again for illumination of other items.

Get back in ya pram ;)

Sponsored Links
i can have every single lamp on inside my house,in the garage and the outside lights, and still only consume 169 watts. Thats good going dont you think?

Sponsored Links
My kitchen has other lighting, these are just for preparation area and to highlight a picture.
Do you have 50-60 of them?

Do you have 50-60 of them?

If you were held hostage and forced to choose between LED or CFL - what would you go for?

No mate, 6 in total :D
So your usage, and experience, is not really relevant to the issue of somebody using 10x that number to light his entire house, is it....

Not get your leg over?
I mentioned I have them and fancy going to dimmable`s.

Experience, have fitted dozens in kitchens with a m8 over the years. And I agree too many fittings not enough light where needed. And F@@kin expensive to run.

Bite the bullet and replace the lights in their entirety. They are useless at lighting up rooms - that's why you've got so many of them. They are actually specifically designed to not be any good at providing general room illumination.

They are often called spotlights for a reason.

I often call them torches - if you compare the business end of a Maglite to an MR16 lamp you'll see a marked similarity.

You can get LED Maglites, and they too are seriously bright and have a long battery life. But they are still torches, and still not what you'd choose to light up a room.

Fiddling with your lamp technology is not the answer - changing the lamp shape and light distribution pattern is.

You say the same thing every time this comes up, when will you accept that your opinion does not match up with many others on this topic, proof is this post itself, you replied to somebody asking about converting from halogen to LED with the above pile of bilge about torches etc. If people didn't like the look of downlights then there would be proof. You are on here more than anyone else imaginable, do two searches, first ' I am looking at fitting downlighters.......' and the second ' BAS was right... I am looking at removing the torches in my ceiling as they are as bad as BAS makes out!!'

Can you guess the result no.s??

I like them, and so do a lot of my customers.

As it happens, I've got 6 to install for a customer tomorrow. I put some in for him a while back, and he likes them so much he want's another room doing the same.

A downlighter is not designed to light a room.

That's fine, but the point that you ignore time and time again is that several downlighters ARE designed to light a room. I know that is true, because I designed it.

You say the same thing every time this comes up, when will you accept that your opinion does not match up with many others on this topic,
Maybe not, but that doesn't make me wrong.

proof is this post itself, you replied to somebody asking about converting from halogen to LED with the above pile of bilge about torches etc.
It's not bilge.

maglite3D.jpg

c_dReflector.jpg
hq-35w-gu10-halogen-light-bulb-277-p[ekm]160x160[ekm].jpg

If people didn't like the look of downlights then there would be proof. You are on here more than anyone else imaginable, do two searches, first ' I am looking at fitting downlighters.......' and the second ' BAS was right... I am looking at removing the torches in my ceiling as they are as bad as BAS makes out!!'
I'm fully aware that some people like them.

Can you guess the result no.s??
I really don't give a ****.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back