The Stern Report (aka Global Warming)

oilman said:
Problem is, what you need here is a fuel source, and oil is the only one. There is no similar substitute.

oilman said:
Fine, but it is not similar. The storage density is not the same.

You mean, despite the fact that you can run a diesel car on cooking oil, it is not a similar substitute?????

Or are you shifting your argument to make a different claim?

Do you still maintain that "oil is the only one?"

Sponsored Links
Aha...thanks for taking the time to explain John.

Even if some think nothing will happen, its interesting to learn more at the very least.

Surely it is not beyond the realms of possibility that a fraction of the energy of the sun could be harnessed, at least in equatorial regions more, to help supply some of the world's needs?

Joe, do you not think with advances some renewable energy sources could ever become viable?

John. A litre of crude oil costs pennies. A litre of cooking oil costs pounds.
Why not just use the crude? You'd use it in the production of the cooking oil anyway.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Please explain why you think bio fuels cost more energy than they give
Just to check - do you believe you have given an explanation?

noodlz said:
Joe, do you not think with advances some renewable energy sources could ever become viable?

Not until we learn to break the rules of science - and no-one in history has done that.

JohnD said:
JohnD said:
Please explain why you think bio fuels cost more energy than they give
Just to check - do you believe you have given an explanation?

Are you answering your own posts now John? Am I confusing you?

JohnD said:
......... are you shifting your argument to make a different claim?

No, I'm not shifting at all. Oil is the only fuel to maintain the present system.

Bio-fuels will have an ENORMOUS effect on the world around us. Most of the land used by agriculture is used to produce food, most of which is eaten.

Where is the land going to come from to run (roughly) 20,000,000 vehicles in this country. It will need at least 200,000,000 acres or 312,500 square miles.

This presents a problem since the area of land in the uk is 93,278 sq miles

It is viable for people to heat their houses with log fires. However it is inconvenient. You need more tons of logs than tons of coal, and you have to carry the things about instead of turning a tap.

It is viable to run a power station on straw and woodchips. Again it is not as convenient as using piped gas or oil.

However, if you are willing to believe:

(1) fossil fuel is not inexhaustible
(2) fossil fuels damage the planet
(3) the era of cheap energy is not a permanent condition

then it becomes easier to understand that oil is not the only fuel, and that there are alternatives. It also becomes easier to believe that profligate use of energy will not continue indefinitely, even in the countries which today have a cheap energy policy.

edited: And that maybe we will not be running 20 million motor vehicles for ever. The "Present System" may not last for ever. here's to a soft landing!

There is no particular reason to suppose that this country would stop importing sources of energy just because the form those sources took was different. This is a specious argument intended to confuse. The inabiity of the GB land mass to provide enough food, or enough oil and petrol is nothing new.

JohnD said:
It is viable for people to heat their houses with log fires. However it is inconvenient. You need more tons of logs than tons of coal, and you have to carry the things about instead of turning a tap.

You get coal out of a tap? Corr - Mister!

joe-90 said:

As I'm sure you know, I was reminding you of the question which I don't believe youve answered. Do you think you have given an explanation for your claim?

JohnD said:
joe-90 said:

As I'm sure you know, I was reminding you of the question which I don't believe youve answered. Do you think you have given an explanation for your claim?

Do you think I haven't ? If so - why?

joe-90 said:
noodlz said:

Not until we learn to break the rules of science - and no-one in history has done that.

But surely, if at present the payback period for solar panels in this country is ten years say...after that (if the panels last :confused: ) any energy produced is energy over and above that which was used to produce the panels in the first place? Is this not the case, Joe?

Now, if technology develops more effective, efficient panels, eventually we will be on a gradual improvement, with less years to recover our initial input and more years to benefit. Even moreso in countries that have a lot of sun.

I don't completely rule out similar advancements with wind, water and nuclear power.

Nobody's saying its not difficult to replace oil, but impossible?

oilman said:
JohnD said:
......... are you shifting your argument to make a different claim?

No, I'm not shifting at all. Oil is the only fuel to maintain the present system.

OK, so instead of saying "Oil is the only one" you have refined your claim to "Oil is the only one with the present system." Not a shift, eh? Although I've noticed you also compare using oil (with huge imports) with using biofuels (with no imports) to bolster your revised argument.

joe-90 said:
JohnD said:

Do you think I haven't ? If so - why?

I notice you do not say if you think you have given an explanation.
Very evasive of you.

Please do.

Sponsored Links
Back