The summer of 1976

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
I caught most of a programme on TV last night about the hot summer of 1976 and its consequences. I remember it as probably the best school holiday ever, but as I never had a care in the world, I didn't realise the effect it was having. They mentioned the plight of farmers, and one thing in particular shocked me - the price of spuds. They showed a shop selling them at 60p a pound, but then someone said they couldn't afford them as they were 90p a pound, and that was over 45 years ago. Anyone old enough to have been paying a mortgage and bringing up a family then, and if so, was it bad for you?

Sponsored Links
I left the country in March 1976 and lived in Israel for a year so I missed that summer here, but it was pretty warm over there so no complaints on that front.
It was probably the happiest and most carefree year in my life, drink, soft drugs and falling in and out of love with some wonderful girls.

For me 1976 was a pinnacle in my life, not in terms of achievement, just sheer enjoyment, but it's remarkable how many people my age refer to 1976 as being their happiest ever year, simply because of it being a long hot summer without a care in the world.

Global warming, bring it on.

I remember 77 being a good year too. 76 the year the Ladybirds started to bite. It was a good year but most years were in those days.

I was born in the spring of '77...
...I guess there wasn't much else to do during the long hot summer! :unsure:

Sponsored Links
I'd been married for just over a year and had moved into a 3rd floor council flat in 76
As we had no garden, and the lounge faced south, we simply opened the windows wide and sunbathed on the lounge floor.

'76 I was at uni. Lots of ice cream and stereotypical punting pics.
Remember: A Day At The Races

Monkees, yep.

Anyone remember the winter of '63?
The snow went over ma wullies
Snow drifts and being cut off by road - twice (it was in Scotland). To get fuel to burn we went across the road into the Forestry Commission plantation and thinned it out a wee bit. It was a community effort, though - more than half our neighbours were out there as well. Smelled lovely once my old man got it burning in the grate.

I can remember December as well, it was a very special time...

The only cloud in the sky that summer was the result of the Cup Final. First time i saw United play in one and lost on a dodgy offside call. To this day i insist Bobby Stokes was offside.

Sponsored Links
Back