The summer of 1976

Sponsored Links
as for 76 i had just got my train driving job at coulsdon north depot because they reduced the driver age from 23 to 21 and i was 22 and part off the process you have to learn the routes as in signals stations speeds all up to " in the dark " standard as trains didnt have head lights so "route learned " for over a year un restricted because the railway tried a flanker training us under the old system off 6 weeks not including rules and regs rather than the 21 age 26 weeks full training off rules and regs so needed union to agree before being passed fit for full driving duties so enjoyed the full summer and most off the next year without being on the active roster

Your post reminded me of the end of the Pepsi adverts of the same era.

Sponsored Links
mods and rockers bsa and bantoms :D
I started with a C15 (BSA) - well two wheels, a frame and two tea chests full of parts. It could just about pull the skin off a rice puddin' when I finally got it going, but at least it went round corners quicker than a "bean can". Replaced that with a Venom (Velocette) as soon as I could - most of my mates went on to Saints, Tigers and the odd Enfield or Beeza

Rockers? I seem to recall it devolved into Angels, Road Rats and Greebos. Only the press (and my dad) lumped them all together as "Rockers". The Mods were mainly Suede Heads and Skinheads

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about this summer brought back a memory of endless days where the sun never stopped shining, sliding down sun burnt grassy slopes on old bits of cardboard; just for the hell of it. Learning how to smoke #6 ciggies. Coughing - a lot. Climbing trees - A first kiss - falling out of trees. Laughing. Laughing with carefree joy for a time where there really were jumpers for goalposts; there was jam for tea and it was all bloody marvellous.
There wasn't another summer quite like it.

I hope you had the time of your life.

Sponsored Links
Back