Theoretical question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Teaser for discussion (I havn't the answer!)

If a perfect sphere is sat on a perfect flat, what is the contact area

Sponsored Links
thats not right.

if it were sitting on something there has to be a contact point, if it wasnt it would be floating / no contact

breezer said:
thats not right.

if it were sitting on something there has to be a contact point, if it wasnt it would be floating / no contact

why?

Sponsored Links
since it is sitting on it, it must have a point of contact, otherwise it could not be sitting there could it

breezer said:
since it is sitting on it, it must have a point of contact, otherwise it could not be sitting there could it

Then it can't be a perfect sphere.

Sorry, I tend toward's Breezer's argument. If it is "sitting", it must be in contact.

Ok, so what percentage of the surface area is in contact?

I think its a case of you would never find the (if any) contact point as a perfect sphere would always be bending away from the flat in all directions no matter how close you got to look

bang the sphere hard against the plane. then it will become a bit flatter and the area of contact will be proportional to the force of the bang. :LOL:

IIRC, the area of a sphere is pi x r³ and the volume is 4/3 x pi x r ³ or the other way around. I remember my maths teacher getting over excited by this. "isn't it amazing kids!" :eek:

EDIT: surface area is 4 pi r²
volume is 4/3 pi r ³ as i said ;)

At a quantum level atoms never touch - so it's really not a serious question is it?

joe-90 said:
At a quantum level atoms never touch - so it's really not a serious question is it?
I was gonna come in with that joe, but didnt think anyone would take it serious like ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back