Thermostatically heated small electric tube - exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new tumbledryer (condensing - needing no water outlet) and want to put it in the garage. I have two electric sockets already installed right next to its cleared spot.

Then I find in the manual it says that it should not be put in a place that has exposure to frost. I suspect in Leeds, frost in the garage may become an issue even though the garage is a side extension of the house.

As the dryer will tucked in a corner of the garage right next to the house, I could enclose it with a simple insulated box with door access and use the second socket for a little heater tube thermostatically controlled just next to it to keep the frost off in the worst weather.

Does anyone make anything like this heating tube....hopefully nice'n'cheap? Even a non thermo controlled one would be better than nothing, I find even small towel rail heaters are too large and pretty expensive too.

Any ideas folks?

Sponsored Links
I put our tumble drier on a stand about 15" high built out of 3X2s and an odd bit of kitchen worktop. I made it a generous depth, so a laundry basket fits on it under the drier door. Makes it a lot easier to load/unload, and space underneath for a small tubular heater with a frost 'stat. It would keep the heat where you want it (if you even need one. We found it's not needed in a detached garage in the tropics of Hampshire :p ).

Sponsored Links
Why put a condensing dryer in a shed? Condensing dryers use more energy, and aren't nessecary outdoors!

As you are in Leeds, have a trip down to ECS on Meanwood Road. They will have tubular heaters etc. at a reasonable price.

Depending on how well insulated your garage is you might find the tubular heater a waste of time and money, in other words you may have to have several to raise the temp sufficiently Tubular heaters are normally low wattage and rely on a gradual build up of temperature which may be hard to achieve in your garage?

it doesn't warm the room much, but if you put it under something, it warms the thing.

I'd expect the warm air to rise into the casing of the appliance.

Some great answers folks...thanks very much for your input. I like the 'raising it and putting frost protection under it' idea. I'm from Berkshire and it's nice and toasty and tropical there too. Leeds is a touch colder! *brr*. I'll look into ECS too...cheers all :))

Steve, why put a tumble dryer in a shed? Um, well, I have a baby on the way and room in the house is limited (at 2 wks to go means room in my body is limited as well!!!).
The TD would be going in my garage extension (properly tiled, brick const - just behind the adjoining door to the house and furthest from the garage door) to maximise house room.

Thanks again everyone

I'm surprised Steve didn't suggest a heat pump

btw even a "condensing" drier throws out quite a bit of steam, so try to arrange extra ventilation or your lawnmower will go rusty. A non-condensing drier with a fat hose through the wall is cheaper to buy and run and keeps the house drier.

Steve, why put a tumble dryer in a shed? Um, well, I have a baby on the way and room in the house is limited (at 2 wks to go means room in my body is limited as well!!!).
The TD would be going in my garage extension (properly tiled, brick const - just behind the adjoining door to the house and furthest from the garage door) to maximise house room.
You took my question the wrong way. I was referring to putting a condensing TD in a shed. Your condensor TD cost more than a normal one, for the sole benefit of not having to ventilate it. But you're putting it where it can easily be ventilated, in the shed! Its easy to cut a hole in a shed wall!

We put our condensor TD in the shed, but it kept leaking. It was also twice as loud as a normal TD. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back