They want to install Smartmeters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the claim relating to Cardiff/Aberdeen/Manchester relate to the £11/household saving or the previous estimate/claim of £26 ?

Sponsored Links
Nor do I (which is why I asked) - but if it's the latter, then I imagine that the claim would again not be at all far off (in fact, probably closer - since I doubt that combined gas+ electricity costs are {26/11} times the electricity cost alone).

Sponsored Links
Because it related to an estimated 'saving' figure which we now believe to have been inaccurate? If so, what was the chronology? - was this Cardiff/Aberdeen/Manchester claim made before or after the £26 figure was known to have been revised to £11?

That makes a difference over whether it's a lie, not whether it is true or false.

My late father-in-law had a smart meter installed, we did not want him to, but since he had done it, we thought well at least we can monitor his usage and so see if he is making a cup of tea which means he is OK. His own son had power of attorney so it had to be him to arrange the internet link, over 12 months since fitted never did get the info on how to read the power used, so all it did was delay us from fitting our own monitoring system.

Yes it should be able to be used to monitor power usage and so show if house occupants are doing things, but in real terms it was a complete failure, they told my father-in-law it would save him answering his door to the meter reader, however the meters are outside in a panel in the wall so he has never answered his door to meter reader anyway.

I can easy set up a system to monitor electric use, what I can't do with easy is monitor gas use, since only gas used is by the central heating water heater it would be good to monitor how much gas it is using as it would show how much the flame height has been modulated so when offered I said yes you can fit a gas smart meter but no thank you don't want an electric smart meter. They refused to fit a gas smart meter without also fitting an electric smart meter so they were never fitted.

Quite possibly - or, more likely, uncertainty about how reliable thay are. ... If they are going to be taking longer to roll out smart meters to most of their customers than the apparent 'between-routine-replacements' interval (seemingly 5-6 years) then they will not necessarily have installed appreciably more meters during that period than they would have done had they never installed any smart meters
Makes a mockery of any claims if they're going to be replacing meters more frequently. I vaguely recall reading how (a few years back) there had been a shift back to disk meters because they were more reliable and could be left in service for longer.
Did the claim relating to Cardiff/Aberdeen/Manchester relate to the £11/household saving or the previous estimate/claim of £26 ?
Try their website where they have the justification for all the claims - I can only guess that they expected a lot of 'disagreements.
https://www.smartenergygb.org/en/website-terms-and-conditions/legal-information/advertising-claims

They refused to fit a gas smart meter without also fitting an electric smart meter so they were never fitted.
That makes sense, the gas meter has to be battery powered so they will want the minimum comms. The Becky meter is powered and so can act as the comms hub for the premises.

On the topic of knowing when people are away in order to break in, most thieves are not looking at the level of a whole county and bribing utilities providers. They simply walk down the street and find a house with all the lights out, no car in the drive, secluded enough to be hidden away, post on the door mat, no burglar alarm. Then bosh in and out in a few minutes. All that needs only a pair of eyes at the most. No need for any fancy technology.

I don't think 1/2 hour updates are really going to help. If my central heating boiler modulates, or mark/space controls output the 1/2 hour slot is to long, if modulated only that means boiler is working well, if using mark/space then I need to do some adjustments.

What I did was place an IP camera so I can see gas meter remotly on my PC, not ideal, but it works. However having a display on the boiler would be far better.

Ideal run for boiler is the flame height adjusts to maintain all rooms at set temperatures, if however boiler turns off, then the TRV will open more than required so when boiler turns on again that radiator will over heat.

It could be simply that the lock shield valve is not opened enough or opened too much, likely one can adjust some thing to ensure boiler modulates rather than turning on/off (mark/space ratio) but 1/2 hour updates are as good as chocolate fire guards, every minute OK but a boiler will likely cycle a few times in 1/2 hour.

In real terms the losses due to turning off and on are not likely to effect the bill that much, every time a boiler turns off the heat is lost out the flue, but as to if enough is lost to worry about is another question.

However with eTRV heads if the boiler modulates there is no hysteresis in the room temperature, so the room is more comfortable.

I saw the problem with poor settings with my son's house, turning on central heating after being off for the day it took 2 hours to reach set temperature, the lock shield valves were left wide open, so the return hot water was causing boiler to modulate well before the whole house was warm.

Still think the boiler should have a gauge showing output rather than having to use main gas meter, however if the meter does show use in real time then it would help.

The thing is, as long as "official government figures" show some level of saving, then dumbenergygb are free to keep spouting the propaganda without fear of being gummed* by the ASA. So the lies will continue ...
* Since the ASA is notably toothless in it's "don't do it again or we'll tell you not to do it again" approach to regulation.

* Since the ASA is notably toothless in it's "don't do it again or we'll tell you not to do it again" approach to regulation.
Indeed - but as I've recently written/implied, the media have far sharper teeth, and I'm pretty surprised that they haven't been deployed.

Kind Regards, John

If by "get shot of", you mean install them in customer's premises (and then have to replace them), that would surely be an incredibly daft policy, wouldn't it?
No, they would try to install them and not replace them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back