They want to install Smartmeters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such as 2 batteries : 1 built-in to run the system and one replaceable to charge the built-in unit. Or was that too simple ?
That's one type of approach, but the non-replaceable one would presumably eventually die.

If it were a 'smart' meter (working in conjunction with a 'smart' electricity meter), the electricity meter could presumably 'report' if/when the signal from the gas meter disappeared.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The battery is my water meter lasted well over 10 years. Mind you it didn't have to transmit. Was still going when it was replaced.

Once no reading has been seen from a meter for 3 days, I'm sure the supplier will be round to fix it. (yeah right)

The battery is my water meter lasted well over 10 years. Mind you it didn't have to transmit. Was still going when it was replaced.
Similar experience here. The new one (a year or two old) actually does transmit, but only very short-range - they have to drive up to just outside my house to get a signal from it!

I don't know whether they are just 'primary' batteries or (as I mentioned as a possibility with the turbine gas meters) it's a re-chargeable one kept topped up by a mini-genny.

Kind Regards, John

That's one type of approach, but the non-replaceable one would presumably eventually die.
Have a pair of them, with one having sufficient capacity to power the meter for as long as it takes to replace the other.

Sponsored Links
... but the non-replaceable one would presumably eventually die.
If it/they is/are non-replaceable (other, presumably, than in the factory), then I don't think it would make much difference how many there were - ultimately, it would have to go back to the factory (if not the scrap heap).

If it were a 'smart' meter (working in conjunction with a 'smart' electricity meter), the electricity meter could presumably 'report' if/when the signal from the gas meter disappeared.
That, and I would have thought actually report when the battery is running low - other than faults, it would be unusual for the battery to die without giving sufficient warning to signal the fact.

All these 'modern' problems could be resolved by the utility companies employing meter readers - or is that too simple.
I surmise the problem is a byproduct of denationalisation of the utility services. When shareholders become involved in providing critical and essential services the only ones to be disadvantaged are the public themselves.

All these 'modern' problems could be resolved by the utility companies employing meter readers - or is that too simple.
Far too simple, I would think.

Remote meter reading is, I imagine, a trivial part of all that this is about - even 'they' would probably realise that it would be a lot cheaper to buy a lot more meter readers.

Most of the medium-term 'true reasons' for installing smart meter relate to the theoretical ability of suppliers to (remotely) vary charges at particular times of the day according to demand.

Kind Regards, John

I see in yesterday's daily Telegraph a power company has advised that 'smart' EV chargers will 'talk' to 'smart' meters and vary the cost of a battery recharge based on system supply/demand.

I see in yesterday's daily Telegraph a power company has advised that 'smart' EV chargers will 'talk' to 'smart' meters and vary the cost of a battery recharge based on system supply/demand.
I don't doubt that they 'would', just as (which is one of the main things that people fear) 'would'/will also happen with 'smart appliances' in general (cookers, tumble dryers etc. etc.) - but, as I'm always saying, I'm not aware of any 'smart appliances' yet existing, so I'm equally unsure about 'smart EV chargers' - yet, unless/until such 'smart loads' became very widely deployed (which would probably take decades, even if they started tomorrow), the system would not really achieve very much.

Kind Regards, John

I don't really doubt that they would if they could - but, as I said, they only 'could' (usefully) if/when the day ever came when many/most EV chargers (or, in the more general case, many/most appliances) were 'smart' - but I really doubt that I (or many of the others here) will be around to see that day.

Depends how big the discount is for having a smart charger and using it when they want you to VS having a dumb charger and using it when you feel like it.

Depends how big the discount is for having a smart charger and using it when they want you to VS having a dumb charger and using it when you feel like it.
It's not about discounts - it's about the (presumed) need for them to find a way to charge the equivalent of Fuel Excise Duty+VAT (currently around 150% in total for petrol & diesel) on electricity used to 'fuel' EVs.

Kind Regards, John

My tenant was duped into having a smart meter fitted in my house without my permission, I would never have given it. I'm now having to deal with EDF, and getting them to remove it. The tenant has already been lied by EDF 3 times about it having to be fitted, they are simply refusing to take it out and replace it with a standard.

If anyone knows an easy way to get these removed without fuss and angst please let me know ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back