think i may have installed a too powerful shower ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people,

before i start, let me just say that my knowledge level of electrics etc is limited at best ...

i installed a new shower (a triton trance, 9.5kw) a few weeks back after the last one's hose burst (yes, burst! plastic, old triton thing).

earlier, whilst my daughter was in there however the shower just went off, with the cord pull switch at the side on the ceiling now unable to come back on.

i'm really not that sure where to go from here? the bathroom is pretty small, and condensation is pretty bad in there - so im wondering whether that has caused it to trip? or whether the problem is worse, and the shower is possibly too powerful? (drawing too much current) ?

but then this is the first time that this has happened.

looking for a bit of advice really, as obviously i want to avoid paying for someone to come out and have a look - though in this case i suspect i might have to. of course, id rather be safe than sorry so if it does require someone to come out then i will do that ... have no idea on costs for that either, though ...

really appreciate any help ...

cheers

jujhimup.

Sponsored Links
How is the circuit run?

The switch being jammed could suggest a loose connection has overheated.

9.5 is 40A ish.

If you have 6mm² cable and a 30A rewireable fuse on an old brown Wylex board with no RCD & no supplementary or main equipotential bonding, I'd think again!!

please define "not comming back on"?

did you switch it off at the switch after it went off?
does the switch click, just not the light on it comming back on?

has the breaker for the shower tripped or the fuse blown?

did you smell burning?

see a flash ( of the cable, not the girl in the shower you filty minded lot.. ).?

hear a crackling or fizzing noise?

hi,

sorry for the lack of info -

i wasnt there at the time, but was told that no noises - shower had just gone off, pull cord switched to OFF and when now trying to pull it to turn to on, it will go to on but no light will come on and the shower cant be turned on - so i guess no supply to it.

theres' no burning, though.

just had a quick look under the cover, there's no melted wiring, everything seems fone.

i assume the switch, as the pull cord wont come back on?

no idea how to fix this, though?

thanks,
jujhimup

Sponsored Links
No supply to it....how to fix it.....

Try the fuse/ circuit breaker!

But, as I said in my first post, you need to find out if the circuit is correctly wired...

@securespark,

thanks - as above though, really not sure where to check for these things?

where would they be? what to check for?

Electric Shower pull-cord switches often burn out, as they carry large loads, if they are overloaded or the terminals are not very tight.

I think you need to buy a multimeter tomorrow if you are going to try to trace this yourself. it will cost you about £8 in the high street.

If you can post photos of the switch, the shower and the consumer unit it wi give us an idea of the sort of installation you have. Aso look for any signs or burning, scorching or melting.

John,

having a long look under the cover showed no melted cables, nothing out of place, all pipework ok - i am more thinking that it is the pull cord, but as said, im really not sure how to confirm this 100%.

switching the mains off and taking the pull cord switch down would be a good start

it's not likely to be the cord.

It's more likely to be the contacts or connections inside the switch.

have you checked the breaker or fuse before you do any of this..?

it sounds like th eswitch is working ok if it can be turned on, but if no light then there is no power out of the switch, and maybe not into it..

You fitted a shower with minimal electrical knowledge, don't know the size of cable or protective device, probably not sure if supplementary bonding is in place and you let your daughter stand underneath it??

Madness, call an electrician to to check for compliance.

Hello All,
Juj, can you let us know the fuse/mcb rating and cable size 6 or 10 mm of the circuit, how long is the run ? Just in case please. :LOL:
RCD protected and supplementary bonding all ok ???

Best be safe than sorry. Get it checked mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back