Thoughts on skirting job...UPDATE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had new skirting and architrave fitted by a recommended local carpenter last week.

When we properly inspected the finished job after he left, we are really disappointed with the finish.

This is my first post so I'm not sure how to share photos of the finished job with you for comment.

A number of the internal joints have just been butted up, not scribed as we expected. This gives a really rough finish and has caused splintering in some places where the skirting has been forced into place.

Where the internal joints have been scribed, they are uneven. In addition, most of the external mitres are uneven and have been left with very rough external edges.

Where the skirting meets the door frames has also not been scribed and there are large gaps. The areas around the plug sockets are also very messy.

There are large gaps between the skirting and the walls, with nails sticking out in places which is unsafe.

We were expecting any nail holes to be filled and also any edging to be sealed as part of the job, so that the skirting was just ready for us to paint.

I don't think we're being picky - would welcome thoughts as we've emailed the carpenter the feedback above and said we're not happy to pay as things stand and what can he do to rectify/improve the finish.

Sponsored Links
This sounds like it's the difference between a joiner, and some guy who would like to think he's one.....I'm afraid we need a few pics to comment but it sounds a right mess!
John :)

Sponsored Links
IMG_9716.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9716.JPG
    IMG_9716.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 168
We'd seen photos of his other work on his Facebook page and he's got really good reviews. We were shocked at the finish. Sadly it's the same in all 3 bedrooms.

With a baby due in just over 5wks, we wanted new skirting in place before we re-carpet. Not sure whether to rip it off & start again with someone else or if there's any way of salvaging it?!

Oh and do you think it's fair to say we're not prepared to pay for the work as it stands?

You will needs lots of caulk to tidy that mucking fuddle.
You should not have sockets in skirting need moving up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back