Tidal energy on its way.

Sponsored Links
The point is there are droughts and there are droughts.

A drought in (part of) England is when the reservoirs are low before it starts ****ing down again.
Someone quoted 2004-6. At this time the largest reservoir in the south-east was a third full.
Obviously it should not be wasted but not exactly Ethiopia.
It is at 91% full now.

The point is there are droughts and there are droughts.

A drought in (part of) England is when the reservoirs are low before it starts p******g down again.
Someone quoted 2004-6. At this time the largest reservoir in the south-east was a third full.
Obviously it should not be wasted but not exactly Ethiopia.
It is at 91% full now.
No it isn't Ethiopia. Well spotted. However available drinking water can get rather scarce in the SE. The fact that they can always pop out to Waitrose and buy a bottle does not prove an abundance of tap water. :rolleyes:

I've lived in The SE for the last 30 years.

I've never seen any lack of drinking water nor any form of 'scarcity'.

Even when they put a hospipe ban in, you can still use buckets to wash your car/fill your paddling pool and use watering cans to water the garden (which I think is daft because there is actually MORE waste that way)

The issue here is that there isn't a shortage in the sense that a shortage means insufficient to meet the needs. No-one NEEDS to use a hospipe to water their garden or wash their car.

Different matter when there is a true shortage and water supply for actual NEEDS is limited (not that I've ever seen it - only read about it)

Anyhoo, I think the water companies over-state these low supplies and if they actually spent more of some of their [massive] profit on actually fixing leaks, there may never be low supplies even in dry periods with little or no rainfall.

Of course, we could build a massive pipeline from the North and pipe down the surplus water which falls there for two-thirds of the year and drips off the trees for the remaining third....

;)

Sponsored Links
I've lived in The SE for the last 30 years.

I've never seen any lack of drinking water nor any form of 'scarcity'.

Even when they put a hospipe ban in, you can still use buckets to wash your car/fill your paddling pool and use watering cans to water the garden (which I think is daft because there is actually MORE waste that way)

The issue here is that there isn't a shortage in the sense that a shortage means insufficient to meet the needs. No-one NEEDS to use a hospipe to water their garden or wash their car.

Different matter when there is a true shortage and water supply for actual NEEDS is limited (not that I've ever seen it - only read about it)

Anyhoo, I think the water companies over-state these low supplies and if they actually spent more of some of their [massive] profit on actually fixing leaks, there may never be low supplies even in dry periods with little or no rainfall.
Oh ok. So by your reckoning a true drought is one where the tap actually runs dry yes?
I guess what the newspapers need to do, and the TV people and the networks etc is rename the UK drought.
Er...something like "a spell where we have not had enough rain to replenish the reservoirs and rivers in the South East". Sound ok?

Oh ok. So by your reckoning a true drought is one where the tap actually runs dry yes?
Yes, but it has to be foreseen and precautions taken to conserve what we have.

I guess what the newspapers need to do, and the TV people and the networks etc is rename the UK drought.
They have been known to sensationalise and talk twaddle.
Do you believe everything they write and say?

Er...something like "a spell where we have not had enough rain to replenish the reservoirs and rivers in the South East". Sound ok?
Yes, a reservoir that is half full is not a drought.

I suspect that in the south-east (although Belboz says it's not that bad) the demand could have risen rather than there being less water.

What you guys need to do us tell DEFRA to rename the whole drought thing then, if you are not happy.

Be sure to tell them that unless there is nowt but sand running out if your cold tap, then it ain't no drought.

Otherwise be stuck with the fact that the South East has experienced drinking water shortages and has experienced recent droughts.

Not my fault DEFRA don't understand the Ethiopia analogy :rolleyes:

Ermm...noseall....I didn't say anything about droughts. I was lambasted for saying a hospipe ban is not a shortage and I replied to that saying my definition of shortage clearly differs from some posters.

You made the point that there had been drinking water shortages and I explained I had never seen any where I live.

I don't really care what DEFRA or the media say something is or isn't. My original reply stipulated that I do not see a hospipe ban as, in itself, constituting a 'shortage' (I never called it drought which is something far different)

In my mind, it cannot be a substantive shortage if they ban hosepipes but still allow the use of buckets and watering cans. After all, a hosepipe will often use LESS water than buckets or watering cans.

At the end of the day, we clearly differ in our interpretation of the term and that's fine. Would be a sad day on here if we could not have some reasoned debate. It makes a change from hundreds of posts about The Holocaust.

B

The new Conservative Energy Minister is stopping all Government Subsidies for future applications for Land Based Wind Turbines, its taken many years for the Government to realise these were impractable, I suppose these will now become rust heaps in the Country Side .

Attention is now being diverted to off shore turbines, will they really be an Improvement, we will have to wait and see ?

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Much more likely it is because he is playing to his supporters in leafy or rural areas who don't like the look of them.

They should try living near to a coal-fired station.

It was a genuine question. I know that the greenies don't like them and blame them for destroying the planet, but as I understand it they are really quite clean these days and a great deal of research and development has gone into removing pollutants from the products of combustion.

They should try living near to a coal-fired station.
What's so bad about them?
Daily Mail readers like to blame them on every respiratory ailment going. They'll be able to add Fracking to their repertoire soon whilst marching off to the doc's armed with their lists of reasons why they are 'sick'.

Last edited:
I'm a DM reader and I think coal-fired power production needs to be retained, if not expanded. Certainly, if we are not going to make more use of nuclear power.
The latest trendy idea is to convert coal-fired power stations to burn wood chippings. Why? They produce less heat/power and still produce the 'dreaded' carbon dioxide that greenies love to whinge about.

Sponsored Links
Back