UK Energy Prices

If you would like to check the headlines from a couple of weeks ago that's exactly what they done when the 30% we normally get from wind power dropped to single figures.
West burton

Coal briefly hit 2.2% of demand.

Currently 1.3%

Sponsored Links
Shot ourselves in the foot then, didn't we.
How? The system is performing as intended, when wind returns to normal the more expensive plants (normally coal) will drop offline again.

With the rise in gas prices we might see more coal power for a while, but that's not necessarily because of renewables not being there, but potentially that it's cheaper than Gas.

How? The system is performing as intended, when wind returns to normal the more expensive plants (normally coal) will drop offline again.

With the rise in gas prices we might see more coal power for a while, but that's not necessarily because of renewables not being there, but potentially that it's cheaper than Gas.
Mother Nature is a fickle beast, can't be relied on fully, and with more and more going to be forced to rely on electricity only-home and transport, we need a back up plan.

Sponsored Links
I’ve just renewed our dual fuel contract with OVO. Fixed it for another two years. They said we can keep our monthly payments at £100 but have suggested £130. It’ll probably work out somewhere in between as we’ve basically both been at home for the last year but should soon be out for most of the days again and won’t be having the heating on all day long.

Mother Nature is a fickle beast, can't be relied on fully, and with more and more going to be forced to rely on electricity only-home and transport, we need a back up plan.
True, the general consensus is that we should build way more Wind and solar than we need. Even if half the time we're wasting power that we don't need it'll work out cheaper than Gas. That and some medium term storage (a few days worth) means we won't have many outages. I'd be surprised if we don't end up with a few big Gas plants sat idle 90% of the time to fill in the gaps if needed.

Now storage is starting to be added to the grid it should become more stable, like it did in Australia.

I'm just about to install solar, Tesla power wall and reversible/heat pump aircon in the new house. I think prices may well rise in the coming months.

I’ve just renewed our dual fuel contract with OVO. Fixed it for another two years. They said we can keep our monthly payments at £100 but have suggested £130. It’ll probably work out somewhere in between as we’ve basically both been at home for the last year but should soon be out for most of the days again and won’t be having the heating on all day long.
Looks like I fixed it just in time judging by the news - unless my supplier goes bust! Only fixed price deal available with present supplier is coming out at £153 a month now.

I might buy my Christmas Turkey now. :whistle:

Last edited:
True, the general consensus is that we should build way more Wind and solar than we need. Even if half the time we're wasting power that we don't need it'll work out cheaper than Gas. That and some medium term storage (a few days worth) means we won't have many outages. I'd be surprised if we don't end up with a few big Gas plants sat idle 90% of the time to fill in the gaps if needed.

Now storage is starting to be added to the grid it should become more stable, like it did in Australia.
Along with new nuclear, we are investing in hydrogen production, which can kick in especially when excess energy is produced by wind/solar. There are large scale sites that will be able to use instead of methane, but a 20% injection into the gas nework will also be maintained.

If you don't have a smart meter, be very careful to not accidentally put in a higher reading before the price rises come into effect.
Remember to put on your reading glasses, otherwise you might accidentally pay this month for some of the energy you use next month after the price rises.
Be careful folks!

Along with new nuclear, we are investing in hydrogen production, which can kick in especially when excess energy is produced by wind/solar. There are large scale sites that will be able to use instead of methane, but a 20% injection into the gas nework will also be maintained.

still at the early stages of experiment and prototyping. It may or may not turn out to be a runaway success.

Looks like I fixed it just in time judging by the news - unless my supplier goes bust! Only fixed price deal available with present supplier is coming out at £153 a month now.

I might buy my Christmas Turkey now.

Christmas is cancelled this year..

still at the early stages of experiment and prototyping. It may or may not turn out to be a runaway success.
Not exactly:
https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2...wer-station-to-be-built-in-north-lincolnshire

There are plans afoot to tie in the gas network with CO2 capture, hydrogen injection in N.Lincs, and Easington in East Riding. These will be linked to other big users (eg. Steel works, and Drax).

A hydrogen plant is already being built in N.Lincs on a chemical/oil refinery site (I forget which), but I have seen a number of presentations about this in the last 2years.

Other users are investing in Biomass for raising steam.

Sponsored Links
Back