Tidy replacement Consumer Units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone care to share some tips on how they make replacement CU's neat when they haven't got full control over the existing cabling without external (or internal) extension please?
I've found some lovely pieces of work on this site but as far as I can see they're new installs which are inherently easier to work with, no offence meant.
? :)

Sponsored Links
Here's my tip.

Only one in every 100 board changes has slack in all the cables you need more length on, so:

Without extending the cables, you can't always make it neat Or get the neutrals and cpc's in the correct numbered terminals.

So extend them and make it a good job. Then you have full control over the cabling.

No excuses!!

Existing installs are always that little bit harder to keep neat, only ever had one CU change where i was able to do the lot neatly without crimping a cable, and i'd rarter have it a bit untidy than crimp where not needed.

Depends somewhat one what youre changing from and to, things do tend to go a bit better with an all-RCBO install, having said that you have less headroom and long flying leads to contend with, swings and roundabouts!

Sponsored Links
if you're extending cables, what do you do with the bulges of heat-sleeved crimped connectors or whatever? they look rather unsightly to me, and don't bend well inside an enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back