Tiled WALL was LIVE !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently did some electrical rearrangements/additions etc for a kitchen fitter in a kitchen renovation. He called while tiling friday to say his lad just got a shock and it threw him across the room - while he was grouting ! He said the tiles were live and could I come and sort it out - he was clearly of the opinion it was something I had caused. I did suggest that he may have drilled or nailed thru a cable, but he vehemently denied this.

When I got there he said you get a shock when you touch the wall and the sink, (he'd carried on working despite me telling him to turn off the supply at the main switch :eek: !)

Using a volt stick it was apparent he was right - it glowed anywhere on the newly tiled wall from a distance of a foot or so away, all over the wall, and in the bathroom the other side ! I was able to isolate the fault to one circuit, went into the loft and measured entries of cables dropping into the kitchen, and sure enough there was one exactly in line with the wall unit bracket he'd fixed with 2" no 12s ! On removal of the cabinet and chopping away the plaster it was apparent that he'd gone through the capping, nicked just the live and the capping had become live, the capping dropped behind the splashback tiling where the combination of wet adhesive and grout seemed to be conducting very well !! :LOL:
(obviously the main bonding on the cold water supply provided a good circuit via the sink ;) )

Having made the repairs (routed the cable in a safe zone and crimped etc) it occurred to me that if the sticky and grout had dried before his lad had got a belt, it would probably not have been discovered until someone
went to remove the cupboard in the future on a wobbly crate or steps!

ps. the volt stick was very useful for fault finding in this case, and they are reduced to 4.99 in maplin !

Sponsored Links
Got mine from maplin too for £4.99 has an LED light on the top which has proved very useful.
Never rely on a voltstick too prove dead though just a handy tool for tracing and fault finding.

Sponsored Links
I've used many voltsticks but find the Fluke version much better than others.

Coventry, what a place that is!
Worked there all last week and am back tomorrow morning for a couple of days. Staying in the Britannia hotel. Seems a little rough around there :eek:

The Brit in town, or one of the other Britannias? I'm guessing the one in town - if so, that's cov uni territory, not rough, just students :LOL:
Pop up the Oak if you get time, not a bad pub and open ridiculously late (even some of us who went to the "other" uni still go there...)

Worked there all last week and am back tomorrow morning for a couple of days. Staying in the Britannia hotel. Seems a little rough around there :eek:

Probably the one in town, Cathedral Square I think it is.
I'm working nearby at the college on Swanswell street, by the park.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back