LIVE EARTH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been decorating my kitchen and I took of the wall sockets to do the tiling. However, I have discovered when I put then back on the wall that one of the sockets has a "live" earth. (the mains tester is showing the earth wire as live) I also got an electric socket when screwing it back on the wall. I have tried to trace the wiring in wall without success. However, I have found another socket upstairs in the bedroom with same problem. Is the one in the kitchen connected to the bedroom ? secondly how can i find the trace the fault to which circuit ? does it mean ripping up floorboards etc ?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you got an electric shock? What had you done to isolate the supply to the circuit?

Do you mean you are using a plug-in tester with 3 neon indicators?

Like this?
p2945783_l.jpg

there is a possibility that someone has wired a socket wrong, or got a stray wire touching the metal back-box, or put a nail through a cable. Have a look behind the sockets and inspect the wiring.

However, to connect the Phase (live) to Earth would normally cause the fuse to blow, unless you have a faulty earth as well.

How old is your electrical installation?

Do all the other sockets pass test with your testing device?

There is a stromg possibility that you will need professional help. Start asking your friends and neighbours if they can recommend a local electrician.

thanks your response. I got another nasty shock from the kitchen wall socket that I mentioned when I cleaning my George Foreman grill with a wet kitchen towel it was only plugged into the socket and was switched off!

Well stop using it then! And find an electrician.

Sponsored Links
I have checked every socket in the house and the wiring appears to be fine. I have discovered that it affects only 3 sockets. two in the same bedroom and the one in the kitchen. My house was built in the late sixties.
No I havn't got a tester like shown in the picture.

In the interest of safety, switch off the affected circuit and call an electrician in. (you might want to run an extension lead to your fridge freezer.)

yep I have isolated the affected sockets ( i have disconnected the wiring in the sockets.I have put the wiring into terminal blocks and sealed them in insulation tape. I can't switch the power off to them as I don't know where they are getting their power from ! if I then the circuit breaker off I lose power to all my sockets in my house.

ban-all-sheds said:
interceptor said:
What have you got?
you and I both know what he has got, and i'll bet it cost him no more than 99p from B&Q and is no good at driving screws or testing that a circuit is dead!

i have disconnected the wiring in the sockets.I have put the wiring into terminal blocks and sealed them in insulation tape.

but.......

I can't switch the power off to them as I don't know where they are getting their power from !

hang on, you said you'd disconnected the wiring and put it into choc block????

please tell me you didnt do this while the circuit was live???
:eek: :eek: :eek:

if so thats unbelievably silly and i strongly recommend you dont do this again, one slip and you might die!!!

this sounds like a problem that only a proper electrician is capable of sorting to be honest.

crafty1289 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
interceptor said:
What have you got?
you and I both know what he has got, and i'll bet it cost him no more than 99p from B&Q and is no good at driving screws or testing that a circuit is dead!

He, He, a loaded question if ever i saw one :D

interceptor - in case you're wondering - they think you used a
p2465567_l.jpg
which is disapproved of here.

your right I did use a mains tester. I am not sure what a multimeter or the device display in an ealier post will prove. I have alreadly had a electic shock. What I am attempting to do is trace the wiring to it's source.

can some one put a section in the wiki explaining why them screwdrivers are so bad. (i would do it but i dont fully know i understand! -through my own logic how they can give a misleading reading and from experience they dont work as a screwdriver but it seams theres more to it as people on here seam to feal quite strongly against them)

sm1thson said:
can some one put a section in the wiki explaining why them screwdrivers are so bad. (i would do it but i dont fully know i understand! -through my own logic how they can give a misleading reading and from experience they dont work as a screwdriver but it seams theres more to it as people on here seam to feal quite strongly against them)

//wiki.diynot.com/electrics:safety_information:neonscrewdriver

Click "create this page" and go for it la!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back