LIVE EARTH

Sponsored Links
sm1thson said:
from experience they dont work as a screwdriver
:( I'm old enough to remember when they weren't made from chrome-plated Mazak, and were actually good screwdrivers :cry:

OK you mains tester "Hater's".

I purchased one of those sockets testers at Maplins Picture at
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/9800i0.jpg

It confirmed what i had said in previous posts that all the sockets in the house according to the socket tester are OK except the one in the kitchen and two other sockets in the upstairs bedroom. The socket tester stated "NO EARTH" on the affected sockets. However, the affected sockets do have an earth wire connected to the socket from the main wiring. In fact the affected sockets have also been earthed to the metal back boxes. So my 99p jobby was actually correct in showing a problem. I also forgot to mention that I haved a digital mains tester(a little back screwdriver with a digital display) and that showed voltage on the affected sockets. Therefore, it appears I have wasted £4.49 on a "tool" which only confirmed that I have problem. therefore, I go back to my orginal question of how to I trace the problem in wiring to discover where the fault could be.

Interceptor
Who has total faith in my 99p mains tester.

To know what your problem is exactly, you need to invest a whole lot more than £5.48...

Sponsored Links
interceptor said:
... my orginal question of how to I trace the problem in wiring to discover where the fault could be.....

If all the sockets are on the same MCB circuit (or fuse):

Then you have to trace where these rogue ones are connected to the circuit.

If it is a ring then you have TWO breaks in the CPC

If they are on a spur or a radial then you may only have one missing or damaged connection.

You can see if they are on a ring by seeing if there is continuity between the two reds and the two black cores connected to each socket.

Use your skill and judgement to estimate which are the most probable of the existing sockets that they get their supply from. Then examine the terminals for good connections. If you find no probs look for damage to the cables where e.g. a nail has been put through the floor or a hole drilled in the wall. If theer are hidden junction boxes then there may be bad connections that you can't see (this is why you are not supposed to have hidden JBs)

interceptor said:
Therefore, it appears I have wasted £4.49 on a "tool" which only confirmed that I have problem
i think the consensus is that people should buy such a tool to find problems rather than sticking screwdrivers and fingers in live circuits -not realy a waste when you weigh up the dangers!

interceptor said:
I also forgot to mention that I haved a digital mains tester(a little back screwdriver with a digital display)

-there even worse (i do have one :oops: ) the voltage displayed is so far out its untrue, wrong infomation is worse than no infomation in my book!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back