Tiling above a slightly slopping bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan on tiling above the bath this weekend but last weekend while I was laying out for the tiles I discovered that the long edge of the bath might not be perfectly level. It's pretty close, no more than 5mm out over the 1800mm length, but we're using 100x200mm tiles with a bevelled edge and I'm concerned even this small error will be obvious.

The way I see it I have three choices...

1) Just tile up from the side of the bath accepting that the tiles will be very slightly out of level. I don't think there's any chance you'd be able to see it's not perfectly level.
2) Tile bag on level and cut the tiles at the bath. I think this will stick out like a sore thumb as the bevel on the tile will shrink.
3) Tile bang on level and just use a thick bead of silicone to fill the 5mm gap at one end. Might have the same visual problem as No 2 though.

The bath is already as level as I could get it so I don't think trying to alter that now is going to improve the situation. I suspect that at least some of the inaccuracy I'm seeing is just down to the difficultly of measuring from the slightly curved edge of the bath.

Sponsored Links
I'd do 2 but cut the bevel off all tiles so it's not so obvious. This would give you a bit thicker edge when meeting the bath too. You wouldn't notice the 5mm over 1800mm that way.

I should have said there's a slight step up (about 70mm) at the head of the bath. If I cut the tiles on the long edge I'll end up with an awkward grout line and thin bits of tile along the head end. Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and accept that I've got a lot of cuts to do.

No, you know what, I should just use the top of the step at the head end as my level and cut as you suggest. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back