Tiling on Block/Brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my downstairs WC to tile. The walls are either exposed brickwork or new blockwork. How do i go about tiling onto these surfaces? Do they need to be rendered or boarded before to give the best finish

Sponsored Links
Depends how good the walls are.

If the best finish is desired then it's worthwhile to overboard with KERDI-BOARD - then you have a
perfectly flat level service to tile on. (When installed correctly).

Walls are ok but i had assumed over-boarding would be required for a perfect finish.

What thickness of board do you recommend and is it dot and dab with mechanical fixings through after.

It's not strictly needed for a good finish, but will make it alot easier if the brick wall is uneven or slightly out. Generally this is a trade off for cost vs ease of installation, for just a WC the benefit becomes more skewed, but if you are striving for the very best, the board will allow you to create a perfectly level and even surface before tiling.

Aslong as the walls are good then spot bond is not an issue.

Thickness will depend on your situation.

If the bond is questionable then mechanical anchors are placed aswell.

Sponsored Links
The size and expected stresses of the project.

So it is a small WC 2m x 1.1m with fully tiled walls being the plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back