Tiling onto emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently had a a stub wall built to house a new shower area, however due to a mistake the walls have been coated in emulsion before I wanted to tile.

I know you cannot tile onto emulsion, so what I would like to know is the best way to remove paint from a plastered stub wall.

Sponsored Links
why can't you tile onto emulsion?

big scraper and gouge the heck out of it? you're tiling over it so the adhesive will fill the gouges and "key" to the wall better?

jefoss wont the steam affect the plaster? its only been on there for about 5 weeks?

coljack, i was told that i would have to scrape most off so that the adhesive grabbed the plaster and the tile. if it is only scored then there is a chance they will come away from the wall. at tleast thats what i was told.

Sponsored Links
Is it matt or silk? With matt you really need to sand it back. With silk, you can do the tape test.... stick a length of gaffer tape on the wall, then pull it off. If any paint peels away, you need to remove it. If not, tile away.

gcol, 2 walls are matt and one wall is one of those metallic matt paints

Westcliff,

I'll leave this one upto you. It's not uncommon on site for painters to paint around the bath in error, then tilers to tile on it.

I've never seen a site that makes the painter remove the paint he put there in error, and i've never been called back to tiles falling off.

I'd score it, PVA it and tile it.

Regards

Paul

i had bought some buildfix plaster primer to run over the plaster, is that ok to use if i decide to score? or should i return it to the store and buy a different product if so which one

If you are suggesting to score it you are suggesting that the wall area is not suitable for tiling onto. Scoring will only improve the wall surface in the areas that you score. This means that the adhesive will only grip properly in the scored areas. In other words TOTALLY UNSATISFACTORILY. PVA is not recommended as a primer for use around wet areas either.

gcol, so baring then what ppaint is on the walls what should i use to remove it? and what hsould i use then to prepare the plaster for the adehesive

If you are suggesting to score it you are suggesting that the wall area is not suitable for tiling onto. Scoring will only improve the wall surface in the areas that you score. This means that the adhesive will only grip properly in the scored areas. In other words TOTALLY UNSATISFACTORILY. PVA is not recommended as a primer for use around wet areas either.

Is it not? the British M40 specification for tiling must be wrong then as must all the M40 tiling specs I receive from commercial clients with regards to PVA/primer onto bare plaster.

Westcliff, up to you if you take my advice, or waste hours of your time.

Incedentially, in my own house, I tiled 20mm porcelain onto emulsion using the same method 4 years ago, and they are still there!

amsie, so if i decide to score is the primer i mentioned above ok to use? i have procelain tiles also

Westcliff,

What im advising regarding the scoring and priming of the paint isnt technically correct, im jsut saying i've seen it done 100's of times and never seen tiles fall off.

The scoring and PVA was for a bit of a safety margin. On site, on the occasions that it happens, which is more often than not, tilers dont even bother with the PVA or scoring, they go straight onto the paint.

Oh, and were talking well known national house builders here!

amsie, i thank you for your help, but would the pva / primer assist more if u sed it? if so is the one i have ok? or can you recommend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back