tiling over emulsion paint..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can i tile over emulsion paint in the kitchen ?...or will the tiles fall off ?..cheers

Sponsored Links
If it's silk, you've a chance. If it's matt, forget it.
It it is silk you need to ensure it's well adhered to the wall - apply some gaffer tape to the wall, leave for 10 mins and then remove it. If the paint stays on the wall you're in luck. Scuff the surface with sandpaper and then tile onto it. Leave for 3 days before grouting.
If the paint comes off with the gaffer tape, you should scrape the paint off and then tile as normal.

cheers mate....its matt im afraid...ah well..looks like ihave to get the sander out..lol :cry:

The blade type wall paper scrapers are ideal for removing paint. You can get 100mm and 150 mm ones for about 6 or 7 quid. We prefer the 100mm ones and usually buy a spare pack of blades too.

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do is to get a screwdriver and score the wall at 50mm centres all the way across the wall, this will allow the adhesive to attach to the palster underneath. ;)

The best thing to do is to get a screwdriver and score the wall at 50mm centres all the way across the wall, this will allow the adhesive to attach to the palster underneath. ;)
Hmmm. The problem with that is that there would be very limited area of adhesion. Best to scrape all the paint off rather than relying on small lines of cleared paint.

just looking through this section, and mountford seems to have plenty of advice which is great, untill you see that every bit is counter advised by others, and not just one person, mountford could i have your company name just in case any one ever needs to see a real rogue trader and not just on the telly :LOL: :LOL:

All I will say is I carry out my work to british standards, if you want to check have a look everything I say and do is to the word.So people can say what they want about me but why am I the bad one.I know when I leave a job its all top notch can every tiler on here say the same.

It is a proven fact that 90% of trades people out there don't know what they are doing that is why I am always doing follow up courses and trying to learn as much as possible. You will find that allot of old school tilers plumbers builders don't do any more training as they think they know it all, well how can you there is constantly new products coming out, new tools new technical advice proving that some of the old way of doing things is not the best way any more.

So before you start slagging me off ask all the others on here when did they last go and do a course at an adhesive manufacturerer, or travel to do a course in sealing stone and think you will find that is a very small %.

All I will say is I carry out my work to british standards....
The best thing to do is to get a screwdriver and score the wall at 50mm centres all the way across the wall, this will allow the adhesive to attach to the palster underneath.
And this is in the British Standards? :eek: :LOL:

jefoss said:
just looking through this section, and mountford seems to have plenty of advice which is great, untill you see that every bit is counter advised by others, and not just one person, mountford could i have your company name just in case any one ever needs to see a real rogue trader and not just on the telly
Think you're being a bit harsh there jefoss - though I'm guessing you're teasing really.

The best thing to do is to get a screwdriver and score the wall at 50mm centres all the way across the wall, this will allow the adhesive to attach to the palster underneath.

Please have a read and you will find that scoring the wall at 50mm centres is to british standards.

Like I said please if any one wants to question my work take a read of them you all might learn something. :evil:

my apologies my good people, i was teasing and im sure the british standard guys are more than aware that mr mountford is by far the best tiler the world has ever seen :D

can i tile over emulsion paint in the kitchen ?...or will the tiles fall off ?..cheers
Hi,
it makes no diff what kind of emulsion it is it MUST be removed and i mean all of it before you tile.i have found a wallpaper steamer by far the quickest and cleanest (dust free) way of doing it.
Hope this Helps :D

Please have a read and you will find that scoring the wall at 50mm centres is to british standards.

Like I said please if any one wants to question my work take a read of them you all might learn something. :evil:
I will admit I don't have a current copy of the codes of practise for tiling as documented by British Standards (it's an expense I didn't feel was warranted). But to be honest, I'm guessing you don't either. If you have a copy, maybe you could post what is actually documeneted. I'll give you a clue, you want to be looking at BS5385. There are currently 5 parts to BS5385 so I'll let you quote which part this information is in and which section of that part. If you could then quote from this section exactly what is mentioned regarding tiling onto painted surfaces that'd be a great help.
I think it would be intersting to see what these British Standards say is the correct size and type of screwdriver to use to score the walls at 50mm centres. Just a question, if you score the walls at 50mm centres, what happens if you use tiles that are less than 50mm? There would be tiles with zero adhesive contact with the actual wall.

For reference, have a look at these documents regarding tiling onto painted surfaces:
Look at page 20
http://www.biscem.co.uk/downloads/Biscem-TilingGuide.pdf

Look at page 4
http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/5/10365/external/COL710365.pdf?ac=

Hi,
As for British Standards=99%bull shi* when it comes to tiling.I know lots of people who can quote bs regs all day long but cant tile for toffees !,a friend of mine runs tiling courses and lots of his students are nvq,city&guilds etc qualified and know bs inside out but im afraid still cant tile ! too much time spent in the classroom im afraid and not enough time spent act fixing tiles :eek: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back