Timber Cladding - sarking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small project to put up timber cladding in particular feather edge boards 150mm X 19mm.

The existing wall is brick and the plan is to screw vertical battens at 400mm centres across it then nail using stainless steel annular nails.

So my question ... I have read on the net that a vapour permeable membrane is used call sarking.

Is this normally only required if you are fixing the boards to a timber framed structure? or does it also apply to my brick building?
http://oak.arch.utas.edu.au/tbia/view_article.asp?articleID=203

Sponsored Links
What is the wall construction - single, double brick or cavity?

Vapour check membranes are for timber stud walls. And sarking is a term used for roofing felt.

I would avoid looking at foreign sites, as the methods/terms may not be relevent to UK construction

The wall is solid 9" brick.

Yeah the search I done on this site for 'sarking' brought back a number of references to roof sarking.

I suspect its similar to the type of product used on the timber cladding as a roof is really just a series of timber studs with a cladding applied(tiles/shingles).

The timber cladding is for aesthetic reason and not to provide weatherproofing/insulation. The solid brick wall is perfectly functional, just not very attractive.

Sponsored Links
In that case, as a 9" wall is deemed to have sufficient weather resistance, you do not need an additional membrane.

The wall will breathe naturally and resist any moisture which may get past the cladding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back