Time flies and I need to move....my tumble dryer to the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to place my condenser tumble dryer in the bathroom (it has a container to collect the water and does not need to be plumbed in). It will be well away from the bath and the basin but close to the toilet pan. I can run the mains cable through the wall to the adjacent room and plug it in there.

Do you think it is a wise move on my part to place this in the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
There's no reason why you cannot do as you propose, providing that the dryer is suitable for use in a bathroom. This will be specified by the dryer manufacturer - any warranty would be at risk if you place in an unsuitable environment.
This code of practice from the Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances gives more guidance.

The socket circuit that you are planning to plug it in to should be protected by a 30mA RCD. Is it?

There's no reason why you cannot do as you propose, providing that the dryer is suitable for use in a bathroom. This will be specified by the dryer manufacturer - any warranty would be at risk if you place in an unsuitable environment.
This code of practice from the Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances gives more guidance.

The socket circuit that you are planning to plug it in to should be protected by a 30mA RCD. Is it?
Thank you for your reply.
There is a 30mA RCD at the mains incomer thats all. The wiring is very old with rewirable fuses. I could plug in a 30mA RCD in the socket and plug the tumble dryer into that. Better still, I could renew the socket outlet incorporating a 30mA RCD.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You don't need or want two 30mA RCD's in line.
Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, that having the RCD at the incoming mains is sufficient and that I can go ahead and plug my tumble dryer into the socket in the adjacent room.

Electrically, yes, you only need one. Assuming it really is a 30mA RCD. It may be an old Voltage-ELCB and that's obsolete now.

Can you describe the RCD, or post a photo. Does it have a yellow test button on it?

FullSizeRender.jpg
Electrically, yes, you only need one. Assuming it really is a 30mA RCD. It may be an old Voltage-ELCB and that's obsolete now.

Can you describe the RCD, or post a photo. Does it have a yellow test button on it?

Thanks. The RCD is a MK 30mA one. Will post a photo soon. Thanks again.
The metal fuse box is the old installation. The centre Crabtree enclosure contains the MK RCD. The CU to the right is for the Economy 7 night storage heaters.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
1. The dryer will be about 1 foot away from the toilet pan.
2.I dont know what the IP rating the machine has. It will be sited outside zone 2.
3. I will try it and see how it works. I can always move it if does not work well. Since it is a condenser dryer and the drying airstream is in closed loop, I expect it will work well irrespective of the humidity in the bathroom. There is a very powerful 6 inch outlet diameter extractor fan in the bathroom so I dont expect any condensation problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
There is a very powerful 6 inch outlet diameter extractor fan in the bathroom so I dont expect any condensation problems.
With a condensing drier! You have to be joking! As was the post about the IP rating ( I pee)

Thanks for your reply.
There is a very powerful 6 inch outlet diameter extractor fan in the bathroom so I dont expect any condensation problems.
With a condensing drier! You have to be joking! As was the post about the IP rating ( I pee)
Thanks just the same for your reply.
It would seem you are misunderstanding what is being said here. The condenser dryer does not exhaust the moisture laden air into the atmosphere full stop. The condensate is caught inside the dryer and collects in a container. Do you understand? So how can the dryer cause any condensation in the bathroom? Let me know if you need to understand how this works.

As for the IP rating, did you understand that I have no idea about what IP rating the machine has? I do not need to know since it is located outside zone 2 of the room, full stop.

As for the extractor fan, there really is a six inch outlet diameter powerful extractor fan. It carries away any moisture laden air in the bathroom, irrespective of where the moisture came from. That is a fact! There really is a fan. I know. Do you doubt that in any way?
Why are you surprised at the presence of a bathroom fan if there is a condenser dryer? The two are separate entities! Do you understand that?

Do you need any more info? You should not need any unless you are prone to misunderstandings. Let me know and I will try to get you to fully understand what this discussion is all about OK?

Clearly I dont have all the time in the world for you but if at all humanly possible, I would like to help any fellow human being to fully understand this discussion.

There are lots of links I could send you that will explain in simple terms that anyone can understand how a condenser dryer works as well as the zone definitions for IP purposes, fans and their air moving performances etc etc. I am sure that once you do fully understand these, work you will definitely be able to make sensible suggestions here.

Let me know.

Last edited:
As for the IP rating, did you understand that I have no idea about what IP rating the machine has?
It was a joke relating to urinating as it is next to the pan.

As for the extractor fan, there is a six inch outlet diameter powerful extractor fan that carries away all moisture created in the bathroom. That is a fact!
No, it isn't.
Condensation is not removed by a fan.

If there are parts which are cooler than the incoming air and that air contains sufficient moisture, there will be condensation.
If there is no condensation then there would be none without the fan.

As for the IP rating, did you understand that I have no idea about what IP rating the machine has?
It was a joke relating to urinating as it is next to the pan.

As for the extractor fan, there is a six inch outlet diameter powerful extractor fan that carries away all moisture created in the bathroom. That is a fact!
No, it isn't.
Condensation is not removed by a fan.

If there are parts which are cooler than the incoming air and that air contains sufficient moisture, there will be condensation.
If there is no condensation then there would be none without the fan.
Thanks for your help. I am now off to move the dryer into the bathroom and it will be there until my kitchen is renewed. I dont expect any problems but if there are any, all I have to do is to move it out.

So how can the dryer cause any condensation in the bathroom?
It can't.

My advice about checking the environment was based on this.

1. It takes in air, and heats it.
  2. It blows the warm air through the clothes, collecting moisture from them.
  3. It cools that air, thus causing the moisture in it to condense.
  4. It vents the dry air back into the room.
How dry does the air have to be at (1) for (2) to work as designed?

there is a six inch outlet diameter powerful extractor fan that carries away all moisture created in the bathroom.
Must be the only one known to man which does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back