Time flies and I need to move....my tumble dryer to the bathroom

Thanks for your reply.
There is a very powerful 6 inch outlet diameter extractor fan in the bathroom so I dont expect any condensation problems.
With a condensing drier! You have to be joking! As was the post about the IP rating ( I pee)
Thanks just the same for your reply.
It would seem you are misunderstanding what is being said here. The condenser dryer does not exhaust the moisture laden air into the atmosphere full stop. The condensate is caught inside the dryer and collects in a container. Do you understand? So how can the dryer cause any condensation in the bathroom? Let me know if you need to understand how this works.

As for the IP rating, did you understand that I have no idea about what IP rating the machine has? I do not need to know since it is located outside zone 2 of the room, full stop.

As for the extractor fan, there is a six inch outlet diameter powerful extractor fan that carries away all moisture created in the bathroom. That is a fact! There really is one! Do you doubt that in any way?
Why are you surprised at the presence of a bathroom fan if there is a condenser dryer? The two are separate entities! Do you understand that?

Do you need any more info? You should not need any unless you are prone to misunderstandings. Let me know and I will try to get you to fully understand what this discussion is all about OK?

Clearly I dont have all the time in the world for you but if at all humanly possible, I would like to help any fellow human being to fully understand this discussion.

There are lots of links I could send you that will explain in simple terms that anyone can understand how a condenser dryer works as well as the zone definitions for IP purposes, fans and their air moving performances etc etc. I am sure that once you do fully understand these, work you will definitely be able to make sensible suggestions here.

Let me know.

Humidity from drying output will not be a problem but i really feel that the IP rating is very relevant be it intended as a joke or not by previous posters.
The dryer will need an 'airflow' so that's clean dry air in and clean dry air out, ok so lets say as we presume no problems with that. However to allow an airflow 'around' and 'in & out' of the appliance requires some form of access point which could allow water ingression. the relevant IP protection required would be IP45 that's 4 (Protected against solid objects over 1mm, e.g. wires, nails etc.) and 5 ( Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions, limited ingress permitted) if the floor was solid then i would raise it to IP47 (protection against the effects of temporary immersion between 15cm and 1m) . Now can your shower jet hit the machine where it would be? If not then you either don't have a shower, have a very big bathroom, or are seriously in need of a new shower. Nothing may be quoted in the regs about this situation but then, how many people put their dryer in the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
If not then you either don't have a shower, have a very big bathroom, or are seriously in need of a new shower.
Or he has a shower enclosure.

You should get one if you are in the habit of spraying the entire room when you shower.

As a shower was not mentioned in the OP then I presume any shower fitted would be an over bath type with probably a standard sh1t so called shower curtain , personally I don't subject the whole room to water jets but my teenage kids don't seem to be able to shower without doing so despite the fact that we have a heavy duty shower curtain.

The relevant IP protection required would be IP45 that's 4 (Protected against solid objects over 1mm, e.g. wires, nails etc.) and 5 ( Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions, limited ingress permitted) if the floor was solid then i would raise it to IP47 (protection against the effects of temporary immersion between 15cm and 1m)
Are you joking? A) he's not going to go out and buy a new tumble dryer just to meet an IP rating and B) it doesn't need to be IP anything as he's already said it's outside of zone 2 (whether or not it actually is, we will never know)

The regs don't specifically mention tumble driers no, but accessories are allowed, and there are no restrictions on current using equipment outside of the zones. Assuming the socket is more than 3m from the edge of zone 1.

Sponsored Links
As a shower was not mentioned in the OP then I presume any shower fitted would be an over bath type with probably a standard sh1t so called shower curtain , personally I don't subject the whole room to water jets but my teenage kids don't seem to be able to shower without doing so despite the fact that we have a heavy duty shower curtain.
Get a folding/sliding glass screen?

If you have a cast-iron bath then magnets sewn into the hem of the shower curtain are very effective.

Thanks for your reply.
There is a very powerful 6 inch outlet diameter extractor fan in the bathroom so I dont expect any condensation problems.
With a condensing drier! You have to be joking! As was the post about the IP rating ( I pee)
Thanks just the same for your reply.
It would seem you are misunderstanding what is being said here. The condenser dryer does not exhaust the moisture laden air into the atmosphere full stop. The condensate is caught inside the dryer and collects in a container. Do you understand? So how can the dryer cause any condensation in the bathroom? Let me know if you need to understand how this works.

As for the IP rating, did you understand that I have no idea about what IP rating the machine has? I do not need to know since it is located outside zone 2 of the room, full stop.

As for the extractor fan, there is a six inch outlet diameter powerful extractor fan that carries away all moisture created in the bathroom. That is a fact! There really is one! Do you doubt that in any way?
Why are you surprised at the presence of a bathroom fan if there is a condenser dryer? The two are separate entities! Do you understand that?

Do you need any more info? You should not need any unless you are prone to misunderstandings. Let me know and I will try to get you to fully understand what this discussion is all about OK?

Clearly I dont have all the time in the world for you but if at all humanly possible, I would like to help any fellow human being to fully understand this discussion.

There are lots of links I could send you that will explain in simple terms that anyone can understand how a condenser dryer works as well as the zone definitions for IP purposes, fans and their air moving performances etc etc. I am sure that once you do fully understand these, work you will definitely be able to make sensible suggestions here.

Let me know.

Humidity from drying output will not be a problem but i really feel that the IP rating is very relevant be it intended as a joke or not by previous posters.
The dryer will need an 'airflow' so that's clean dry air in and clean dry air out, ok so lets say as we presume no problems with that. However to allow an airflow 'around' and 'in & out' of the appliance requires some form of access point which could allow water ingression. the relevant IP protection required would be IP45 that's 4 (Protected against solid objects over 1mm, e.g. wires, nails etc.) and 5 ( Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions, limited ingress permitted) if the floor was solid then i would raise it to IP47 (protection against the effects of temporary immersion between 15cm and 1m) . Now can your shower jet hit the machine where it would be? If not then you either don't have a shower, have a very big bathroom, or are seriously in need of a new shower. Nothing may be quoted in the regs about this situation but then, how many people put their dryer in the bathroom?

These machines are sold for use in a kitchen which is not agreat deal different an environment as that in a bathroom. Whilst moving the machine from the kitchen into the bathroom, I caught sight of the rating plate and the IP rating for my machine is stated to be IP X4. That would make it suitable for placing in the bathroom and as it is outside zone 2, nothing is being contravened. As stated earlier, I have a powerful 6 inch fan in there which moves a lot of air including any moisture in the air before it has any time to condense. There used to be a 4 inch run of the mill fan which was not very effective hence it was upgraded.
There is no shower in this bathroom.
Any way, thanks one and all for all your suggestions. I now move on to resolving other issues before renewing the kitchen.

Last edited:
The relevant IP protection required would be IP45 that's 4 (Protected against solid objects over 1mm, e.g. wires, nails etc.) and 5 ( Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions, limited ingress permitted) if the floor was solid then i would raise it to IP47 (protection against the effects of temporary immersion between 15cm and 1m)
Are you joking? A) he's not going to go out and buy a new tumble dryer just to meet an IP rating and B) it doesn't need to be IP anything as he's already said it's outside of zone 2 (whether or not it actually is, we will never know)

The regs don't specifically mention tumble driers no, but accessories are allowed, and there are no restrictions on current using equipment outside of the zones. Assuming the socket is more than 3m from the edge of zone 1.
Thanks. The socket is not 3m away. It is however on the other side of a solid brick wall. The machine is sited well outside of zone 2 some 36 inches between the edge of the bath and the nearest point of the machine. In the kitchen, it was closer than this to the sink where a well known nationwide retailer delivered and connected to the nearest mains socket.
I had not considered the flooding aspects but the same could happen in a kitchen. I shall certainly consider this for the new kitchen installation.

The mains socket is not 3m away from the bath, but it is on the other side of a brick wall in an adjacent room. The dryer is well outside zone 2, some 36 inches between the edge of the bath and the dryer.

It can't.

My advice about checking the environment was based on this.

1. It takes in air, and heats it.
  2. It blows the warm air through the clothes, collecting moisture from them.
  3. It cools that air, thus causing the moisture in it to condense.
  4. It vents the dry air back into the room.
How dry does the air have to be at (1) for (2) to work as designed?

A condensing dryer does not work like that. The room air that it takes in is used to cool moisture laden hot air that circles round and round inside the dryer. The air that the dryer heats is not discharged to the room. It matters not how dry the room air is, because it no more comes into contact with the air going round and round between drum and heat exchanger than the world air comes into contact with the hot water in your car's engine cooling system.

It can't.

A condensing dryer does not work like that. The room air that it takes in is used to cool moisture laden hot air that circles round and round inside the dryer. The air that the dryer heats is not discharged to the room. It matters not how dry the room air is, because it no more comes into contact with the air going round and round between drum and heat exchanger than the world air comes into contact with the hot water in your car's engine cooling system.
Thanks for the clarification.

Would be worth finding out how well it will work - it will be expecting to take in dry air.

Not so actually, all they need is cooler air, you know, so they condense!
But that too may be in short supply in a bathroom but it will make the bathroom nice and cosy!
It can't.

He's right. Just goes to show how little some know and that it's best not to trust what you read read online unless you know the poster knows what he's talking about!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back