Time flies and I need to move....my tumble dryer to the bathroom

Would be worth finding out how well it will work - it will be expecting to take in dry air.

Note: I did NOT say that. It was the big boy that did it.

Tipper: don't edit quotes, unless you know what you are doing.

Oops! My quotes went wrong due to changing my mind about what I was going to quote and write, deleting the whole post and starting again but when I went in to do it again it all got mixed up. Can't seem to edit some posts too not sure why not.

My sincere apologies, as you realised I was aiming at BAS who usually claims to know it all!

Sponsored Links
The 3metre distance refers to a socket being placed in the same room as the bath/shower. So you are fine.

Thanks for your clarification. The dryer is working fine. No condensation forms on it when bathroom is in use.
I am however thinking of the future.
Would it be permissible to install an IP66 power box ( https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/SMWP401.JPG) in the bathroom, outside of zones so that a future tumble drier can be plugged straight into it. This will enable a deliveryman to remove the old appliance and commission the new one with ease.

As far as regulations go yes. Since it needs a tool to access the sockets. Same as under the bath, if the bath panel is like mine and you just pull it free then can't have power under bath, but if like my mothers and there is a row of screws holding it on then you can have power under the bath.

The dryer is basic a de-humidifier which takes the moisture out of the cloths, there are many types of de-humidifier it can be a huge wheel with a disc of desiccant which blows damp air through it and lets it absorb moisture slowly turns it and at another point blows hotter air through it to dry it out again, or it can use simple cold water to remove water with a heat exchanger or which is most likely use a refrigeration motor instead of the cold water. The use of a cold surface to condense the water means it does not go into the air, but it either needs plumbing in or needs a bucket to remove the water.

Problem is we don't dismantle the drier to see how it works. I am sure my mothers washer/drier uses cold water rather than a refrigeration unit to get the cold surface to condense the water.

The whole problem is we don't know what is inside many devices so we simply follow the instructions. Many instructions include things like relative humidity where it is used, with a bathroom that will at times be 100%. Many domestic appliances require it to be below 85% relative humidity. As a test I down loaded the instructions for an Indesit tumble drier condenser type.

The room must be adequately ventilated while the dryer is running. Make sure that the dryer is installed in a room free of humidity and with adequate air circulation. The flow of air around the dryer is essential to allow water to condense during drying; the dryer will not function properly if it is placed in an enclosed space or inside a cabinet.

Clearly the Indesit can't be used in a bathroom. As to which can be used in a bathroom I don't know, but I would guess non. So really no point in making it so the delivery man can commission new appliance, as he simply would not install it in a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
As far as regulations go yes. Since it needs a tool to access the sockets. Same as under the bath, if the bath panel is like mine and you just pull it free then can't have power under bath, but if like my mothers and there is a row of screws holding it on then you can have power under the bath.

The dryer is basic a de-humidifier which takes the moisture out of the cloths, there are many types of de-humidifier it can be a huge wheel with a disc of desiccant which blows damp air through it and lets it absorb moisture slowly turns it and at another point blows hotter air through it to dry it out again, or it can use simple cold water to remove water with a heat exchanger or which is most likely use a refrigeration motor instead of the cold water. The use of a cold surface to condense the water means it does not go into the air, but it either needs plumbing in or needs a bucket to remove the water.

Problem is we don't dismantle the drier to see how it works. I am sure my mothers washer/drier uses cold water rather than a refrigeration unit to get the cold surface to condense the water.

The whole problem is we don't know what is inside many devices so we simply follow the instructions. Many instructions include things like relative humidity where it is used, with a bathroom that will at times be 100%. Many domestic appliances require it to be below 85% relative humidity. As a test I down loaded the instructions for an Indesit tumble drier condenser type.

The room must be adequately ventilated while the dryer is running. Make sure that the dryer is installed in a room free of humidity and with adequate air circulation. The flow of air around the dryer is essential to allow water to condense during drying; the dryer will not function properly if it is placed in an enclosed space or inside a cabinet.

Clearly the Indesit can't be used in a bathroom. As to which can be used in a bathroom I don't know, but I would guess non. So really no point in making it so the delivery man can commission new appliance, as he simply would not install it in a bathroom.

Thanks for your answer. I just checked my appliance instructions. It is rated IPX4. Says do not use appliance where temp is less than 5DegC or more than 35DegC. Mine is an AEG.

Last edited:
I wonder if Tipper will have anything to say regarding that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back